P38 air springs. What do you think?

Paul Woodward

I took my Range Rover for mot last week. It passed ok but I was given an advisory on perishing of the air springs.

post-2781-127698052387_thumb.jpg post-2781-127698053982_thumb.jpg

What does the team think? Should I be thinking about changing them now? Or will they go a bit longer?

It's a 2002, I've no reason to think they're not the originals.

Thanks all.

Well they do look a little beyond their sell-by date, while they might last for a while if one burst's you will feel foolish :unsure:

I would budget for replacement sooner rather than later but wouldnt panic this week unless your use is hard.

The problem is not so much the spring failing, it's the extra workload placed on the compressor by the small but continual air leaks. Do you ever return to find the suspension has gone down over a weekend of non-use? Does it sometimes seem to take 'longer than normal' to lift again?

At eight years old, based on the 11 year experience of my 15 year old example, yes, I'd replace them sooner rather than later. If you are going to use the car, it's better to enjoy it in good working order. It's only going to get knocked when you sell it anyway, so you might as well keep it in good condition and get the benefit while you are using it.

HTH

I took my Range Rover for mot last week. It passed ok but I was given an advisory on perishing of the air springs.

post-2781-127698052387_thumb.jpg post-2781-127698053982_thumb.jpg

What does the team think? Should I be thinking about changing them now? Or will they go a bit longer?

It's a 2002, I've no reason to think they're not the originals.

Thanks all.

I had the same problem as in car went for mot and received advisory on the front left airbag.The following week before i had even had chance to think about it ,it burst big style.This turned out to be a blessing in disguise as when i removed the wheel i found the discs to be quite badly worn.I have ended up replacing front air bags (Arnott 2nd generation variety),discs,pads and front shockers (Terrafirma)(what the hell).I also invested in reset software for the air suspension that worked a treat.Well happy with the motor now!!

Cheers RB

they look to be ready to need changing anything over 8 years old is pretty good for standard bags i got ten years out of mine but they had gone hard and gave very poor quality ride i fitted p38a arnott gen2 springs to my classic well worth the money!

if you want to make the bags last longer drop it to access at nite that way the cracking will not be in the normal ride height position and will be eaier to detect and as the bags are being rolled up and down will keep them more supple to.

lastly always replace as pairs same as doing normal coil springs and shocks

For what it's worth I replaced all four of mine about 18 months ago for Arnott Gen 3's. They were about the same cost as I'd have paid for OEM if I'd gone to a dealer (though you'll get OEM's cheaper from Rimmers). The Gen 3s do give a different ride - though I'd have to say that the "harder off road" may not be to everybodies taste.

Overall the originals had been on for about 8 years - one had developed a slow leak and was on advisory as yours. I used Arnotts as they were reported as a good upgrade and have a whole of life guarantee (though as always not sure you'd get much comeback in 10 years time!!)

Hope this helps

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Were going on holiday in it in July so I guess I'd better do them. They don't lose any air, it was stood for a month while the engine was dead and they all stayed up.

I've read you need the diagnostic computer to de pressurise the system. As the bags are being changed will it be ok to support the chassis and axle then puncture the bags?

As the bags are being changed will it be ok to support the chassis and axle then puncture the bags?

You could do it that way, but I think you will find that if you set the system on access height, then jack and support the chassis so the axles are hanging on the shock absorbers, the pressure in the springs will have dropped so low that you can push the air line into the spring, then push the collet into the spring, and hold it down, then pull out the air line without damage.

Possibly easier on the front springs than on the rear.

There is a simple / cheap software tool for working with the EAS. I'm not sure of the details, but it might be worth looking for that.

HTH

If you support the weight of the car,with the ignition turned off,its perfectly acceptable to stick a knife in the air springs to deflate them.A sharp knife pushed in then gently twisted will give a controlled deflatation - and deter anyone else from bin-diving the old springs.

When you refit the new springs its alot easier to get the clips and pins through the springs when they have some air in them,opening and closing a door will control air going to the springs when the engine is running.

Another big picture view is that at eight years old the compressor,height sensors,valve block o rings and drive pack will all be on their last legs.Others will disagree,but so many of my customers have been back multiple times to go through that lot.If I were to buy a P38 as a daily driver I would spend the money and enjoy the reliabilty.......