Water from under the engine - where from?

I'm on my 18th Landy (done almost all my own maintenance) but this problem has me beat. Started her up today (2002 TD5 90) and there was a regular 'chuffing' noise from the air intake on the offside wing.. Reversed a bit around the drive and noticed the motor was leaving a trail of water. Not the odd drip, but a lot.. Got out and had a look and there was water coming from under the engine around the exhaust downpipe. Looked under the bonnet - nothing obvious. We were just going out so we changed vehicles and got back about 2 hours later. It was then absolutely normal, no leaks, no strange noises, no water missing from the header tank or the washer bottle. Wife used it last 6 days back. All I can think of is that rainwater was 'stored' somewhere and escaped.., but I can't remember it raining all week.. But I don't understand the noise from the air intake. Since been for a ride, got it up to temperature, no problems.. Am I delusional...? Definitely water, it's since dried up and there's no trace of it now.

It could be as you suggest, water that has collected around the body when it's rained. I know on bothmy series and 110, if it has rained, there will be a puddleof water when I move off(and mostly inside the cab!)

However, on the TD5, the header tank is some way from the rad, but could it be where the overflow on the header tank?

" .. there was water coming from under the engine around the exhaust downpipe .. "

Could it have been coming from under the heater intake pipe, there is a "duckbill" under there somewhere to let rain water out that's come in through the wing-top vent, that can get blocked. Come to think of it, there's a similar arrangement on the other side too which could explain the "chuffing" noise.

check your coolant level. the core plug are prone to forming rust spots and they let out water like that.

so if it's near the cat of the exhaust, it's prolly the rear core plug that has a tiny hole. i had this once and when i parked up and there was a giant puddle after 10 minutes.

it's really a cheap piece, but can be a chore to get to depending on which one. there are 2 sizes of them around the engine block.

another time was it was leaking only for awhile, then i topped up the coolant, and drove 30km to the workshop and no leak. but still it was a tiny hole in the core plug.

What about the aircon moisture drain?

...I spent about an hour poking about under a Lucida looking for the water leak a couple of years ago , having recovered it to the workshop 'due to the water leak' only to eventually find it was the ac drain :blush:

cheers

Steveb

What about the aircon moisture drain?

I only wish my 90 HAD aircon! A heatwave (for us) today, it's over 24C....

Thanks to all so far, checked the duck bill thingie on the n/s wingtop, it's clear and empty, couldn't find another. Only things spotted so far is that the bodywork under the heater is quite rusty, but then if it's a normal channel for rainwater it would be.. The header tank level was normal, so doubt the core plug theory and I can't see any without a stripdown (where are they?). There was a heck of a lot of water on the ground, I would estimate at least half a gallon. Taken it out twice since I posted and everything normal.. The motor was parked facing slightly downhill, water seemed to be dripping down the nearside of the engine around the downpipe.. A mystery.. Perhaps it's a new spring, (wet, not coil...). If it's mineral water, I could bottle it and make a fortune.. Landy Water, full of minerals, ferrous oxide, aluminium oxide, traces of oil to help the joints and glycol, to keep you warm in winter.. £2 a half litre.

Hi Reiny,

Not a stupid question, but the method of doing it might be, as I would have to try and lick the driveway where it spilt. It hasn't done it again and what did come out dried up.. My other half tells me it didn't smell and looked clear.., so it may well have been rainwater.. Do you know what that is in sunny Malta? Ed