Sprayed PU foam instead of a headliner?

Has anyone seen this done. Theres a local place that does boats and roofs and the like. Do you think it would make a good substitute? On LRaddict there's a Guy in Alberta thats done it on his POP roof. Just wondered it anyones seen it in the UK.

TA

I know this will not apply but may be of intrest. I do a lot of work for a farm and they have had this sprayed on to the walls and roof of their grain stores. But have had to have it removed as the mice love living in it!

I don't your motivation for not using the factory headliner, but the best substitute I've seen is sheet neoprene contact adhesived straight onto the roof. It's widely and cheaply available in many thicknesses in black, or there's a product called 'progrip' for sailing dinghies that is available in just about any colour. It does the job of removing condensation, reducing drumming and noise etc with very little hassle.

I used a polyethylene (evazote, blue camping pad) closed cell foam. Not that expensive, light and one of the best insulators around with an R value over 3.5 per inch. I put a perforated vinyl over it for looks. Neoprene is nice durable foam, but the insulating value is comparatively quite low.

On the OP question of polyurethane foam, I would worry about cracking from flexing of the panel, especially if the truck is used off road.

Actually the camping mat stuff is a good idea, cheap and light. Do you have some photos? What adhesive did you use? I see you can get in in big sheets so thats great. Did you use 6mm or 12mm? The sheet flame retardant so thats a plus and as you say you can coat it in something a little harder.

Thanks

A contact adhesive like Evostik or Bostik is the way to go for both the sheet onto the roof and if you want to cover it with Vinyl afterwards.

Why are you re-covering the roof, rather than using a LR headlining, I thought your truck came as a station wagon so should have the headliner?

yeh, I have the headliner and all the trim but I've removed it all. The headliner is in the normal saggy state and since we might be looking at it every night when laying on our backs I wanted to replace it with something better and also something that wouldn't let a litre of condensation form every day. The headliner just lets it form behind and this runs into the internal gutter and then right onto my right leg every time I brake. When I accelerate it just tinkles out down the rear quarter lights. And a litre is no exaggeration !

Thanks for all your help guys especially bagder, errol and red. This is all good, and great info. I'd love to see what you've done if you can post photos or your linings. I'm not doing this yet as its way down the "to do" list but this is all part of the plan.

Actually the camping mat stuff is a good idea, cheap and light. Do you have some photos? What adhesive did you use? I see you can get in in big sheets so thats great. Did you use 6mm or 12mm? The sheet flame retardant so thats a plus and as you say you can coat it in something a little harder.

Thanks

12 mm then another 12 mm of an open celled foam with perforated vinyl backing. It is cold where I live..... Adhesive was a special spray on adhesive for foam. I have also used normal spray adhesive. It holds well enough, but the proper stuff is stronger than the foam.

I've got some sheets of automotive spec, black colour blown polyethylene (camping mats) with double sided adhesive tape already applied. Comes in 8'x4' sheets approx 10/12mm thick. I've allready used one sheet on my roof (110HT) and its great. I've got 3 left but am keeping them for my 110 rebuild, I might be able to get some more if anyones interested-I'll have to have a nosey.

I've also got lighter PU open celled flexible foam again with adhesive backed, not as good noise reduction wise, but nice and light. Smaller sheet sizes.

Also Jaguar cars- petrol blue/light grey colour automotive carpet, self adhesive backed (proper industrial spec glue-ie never get the bugger off again). Usually roll ends-a few metres in length by approx 1.5m wide.

I've got some sheets of automotive spec, black colour blown polyethylene (camping mats) with double sided adhesive tape already applied. Comes in 8'x4' sheets approx 10/12mm thick. I've allready used one sheet on my roof (110HT) and its great. I've got 3 left but am keeping them for my 110 rebuild, I might be able to get some more if anyones interested-I'll have to have a nosey.

I've also got lighter PU open celled flexible foam again with adhesive backed, not as good noise reduction wise, but nice and light. Smaller sheet sizes.

Also Jaguar cars- petrol blue/light grey colour automotive carpet, self adhesive backed (proper industrial spec glue-ie never get the bugger off again). Usually roll ends-a few metres in length by approx 1.5m wide.

I'm interested in both. Let me know.