Genuine Landrover Parts

need4speed

Ive just bought a new fuel pump STC4344. Bought it from a reputable parts supplier - NOT britpart. It cost just over £200 as i wanted genuine.

Question is this - do all genuine LR parts have the LR oval logo stamped somewhere on the part? Although the pump came in a box that had the genuine sticker on it, the pump itself is unmarked. The reason im wondering is that on a friends freelander he had to renew the pump (as it had covered uss enterprise mileage) and we noticed that the pump itself was stamped with the logo....

Any thoughts would be appreciated as i wouldnt like to think that ive paid genuine parts money for non-genuine parts...

I cannot answer your question, but on occasions in the past I have not been impressed by the quality of some parts which have come in LR or other branded parts boxes - in fact I have wondered if the boxes have been 'recycled' from the workshop and refilled with cheaper parts.

Chris

I cannot answer your question, but on occasions in the past I have not been impressed by the quality of some parts which have come in LR or other branded parts boxes - in fact I have wondered if the boxes have been 'recycled' from the workshop and refilled with cheaper parts.

Chris

Hi Chris, and thanks for your response.

That is exactly my concern... I will not be a happy camper if ive paid £200 plus vat for a £70 pump......

I wouldn't expecy a Genuine Land Rover injection pump to have the Land Rover logo onit, Bosch yes, Land Rover no.

The old freelander pump had a LR logo on it - mine has nothing. Not even a bosch or lucas logo..

An unbranded item is generally known as a 'white box' part, which has no manufacturers ID on it. Bosch, Lucas, AP, BL, L/R, etc, all brand mark their products and it's a sign of good quality. I would question a part that wasn't marked - especially for that kind of money.

Les.

An unbranded item is generally known as a 'white box' part, which has no manufacturers ID on it. Bosch, Lucas, AP, BL, L/R, etc, all brand mark their products and it's a sign of good quality. I would question a part that wasn't marked - especially for that kind of money.

Les.

Delphi are OE on this , this may help, if you need anymore info give me a shout.

cheers

Gary

Delphi are OE on this , this may help, if you need anymore info give me a shout.

cheers

Gary

You also have to remember that LR are now constantly resourcing and have an Aftermarket purchasing team. They will bwe buying as cheap as possible and given the fact that they have zero stocks on around 40,000 parts , yes 40,000!

They will be buying from any source they can to satisfy demand from dealers.

Gary

Quick update. I phoned the parts supplier in question this morning and queried this. I just said that, given the amount of money spent, i was concerned that a pattern part had been sent to me by mistake. They explained that sometimes the parts have no manufacturers stamp on them - even genuine depending on who LR gets to make them.

They said that if the box looked untampered, and had a genuine LR sticker on it, it definately will be genuine. However as previously mentioned, its easy for boxes to be 'recycled'.

The bottom line is i have no way to disprove them.

Im not naming the parts supplier as they have been good in the past but if i find ive been sent pattern goods for genuine money i certainly will!

Having fallen foul of this kind of thing several times - the only way to tell for sure (well, mostly) is to buy from an actual Main Dealer. Most parts cost about the same as buying the (supposedly) same part from one of the other suppliers - but the confidence is worth the difference.

Land Rover sourcing parts from a number of sources has confused the issue a lot - but the big parts suppliers are capitalising on this because it has loosened the definition of a 'genuine part' and makes it impossible to prove either way for an end user.

As I have mentioned previously, I have three UJ's sold to me as 'Genuine'. They all cost about £30. One of which is about as rubbish as a £1.50 UJ from the lowest common denominator supplier with ready-perished rubber seals. Two are OK, but the one from a main dealer (Harwoods in Sussex) is clearly the best quality.

Two of them (the worst and the best) came in Land Rover marked boxes. The worst UJ has no branding and the best two are stamped with GKN.

Si

I'm pretty certain that's a genuine one. It looks fine. The cheaper ones I've had/seen have a different arrangement for the return pipe, the genuine ones are the only ones that seem to use a rigid return pipe.