Lt230 Front Output Bearing Renewal

Does anyone know if it is possible to renew the front output bearing on a LT230 Transfer box with the box in situ?? Is it possible to simply remove the flange, oil seal, circlip and somehow extract the bearing without removing the the front output housing of worse the whole b****dy box! Any advise or tips would be appreciated.

As a warning to all...... the cause of this little gem was a 2" lift with castor corrected arms having been unable to even bolt on the orginal prop I was "advised" and sold a 30 deg wide yoke prop, which did cure the binding but after a very short test drive at moderate speed the vibration proved too much for the bearing in the front housing.

Many thanks to White90 for the excellent pics of his double cardan which is now next on the shopping list after I sort out my transfer box!!!

Stan

90 Tdi 1996 R380/LT230 :angry:

Yes, you can easily do it with the box in situ. Not that I have, but the manual shows this procecure.

"Yes, you can easily do it with the box in situ. Not that I have"

Thats tempting fate!!!

...As a warning to all...... the cause of this little gem was a 2" lift with castor corrected arms ...

Stan

90 Tdi 1996 R380/LT230 :angry:

IMHO the warning to all should be:

Rotating the complete axle housing to correct caster adversely affects the diff pinion angle and driveshaft (as you found out).

Cranked arms should be used to correct the angle of the diff pinion and to remove excessive strain from the chassis mounts when the suspension is lifted.

After the pinion angle is corrected, determine how much caster correction is required and slot the bolt holes in the swivel balls accordingly and rotate them to correct the caster.

I have actually replaced the bearing with the transfer box still fitted in the vehicle. I had to replace the oil seal at the same time. It was a relatively simple operation but even with a timiken bearing as a replacement some movement in the bearing could still be detected when you tried to move the propshaft up and down.

• 6 years later...