Retro fit 200tdi snorkel help needed

Anyone fitted a snorkel (mushroom top job) to a 86Dreg 90 former petrol now fitted with a 200tdi?

I know I am going to have to vent it through the wing and they are the earlier type without side port for intakes but what about the intake for the heater the big black plastic Haggis ??Has anyone got around it I am sure someone has, if so how?

fit the snorkel to the righthand side as that should have a blank vent cover with enough space inside to route the air trunking to the air cleaner or the TD/200Tdi wing side panel is a straight swap for your left wing side panel, it'll just need painting to match.

Thanks Ralph,

The only problem is that I foolishly bought the snorkel to fit a 200tdi i.e. with the wing mount shaped for the nearside wing. What sort of aperture does a 200tdi need to breath could I route the air intake for the heater through the snorkel and blank the wing top vent with a plate doing away with the Haggis?

Could the engine and heater share the same input through the snorkel?

Just a thought.

James

200Tdi snorkels that enter through the side of the wing are rubbish. Because the heater box is in there, one has to use the oddly-shaped Land Rover bits, which never seal properly.

Best option in my opinion is a snorkel routed in through the top of the RH wing (through the blank plate) and then a pipe to the airbox. This way it can be sealed properly.

200Tdi snorkels that enter through the side of the wing are rubbish. Because the heater box is in there, one has to use the oddly-shaped Land Rover bits, which never seal properly.

Best option in my opinion is a snorkel routed in through the top of the RH wing (through the blank plate) and then a pipe to the airbox. This way it can be sealed properly.

this is what I did with my 90 last year (no pics I'm afraid ) drill a hole in the side of the n/s wing directly in line with the underside of the heater,

then push a piece of flexible hose to reach the air box and connect it. then bend the other end of the flexy to mate with the rigid part of the snorkle,

make sure everthing is sealed up and tight and off you go (with the engine running just blow some smoke towards the snorkle and see it getting sucked in)

this is what I did with my 90 last year (no pics I'm afraid ) drill a hole in the side of the n/s wing directly in line with the underside of the heater,

then push a piece of flexible hose to reach the air box and connect it. then bend the other end of the flexy to mate with the rigid part of the snorkle,

make sure everthing is sealed up and tight and off you go (with the engine running just blow some smoke towards the snorkle and see it getting sucked in)

Ok...Have I got this right? the air supply for the heater and the air supply for the engine both come through the snorkel?

Does it make any difference when the heater is running full tilt? it doesnt suffocate the engine at all, that was my main consern.

Cheers

James

Ok...Have I got this right? the air supply for the heater and the air supply for the engine both come through the snorkel?

Does it make any difference when the heater is running full tilt? it doesnt suffocate the engine at all, that was my main consern.

Cheers

James

The Heater intake is normally on the top of the wing (horizontal surface) and the engine air intake is on the vertical surface of the same wing.

post-2992-128145959525_thumb.jpg

...Have I got this right? the air supply for the heater and the air supply for the engine both come through the snorkel?

No, seperate air intakes.

if there is NO air intake grille on the wing side panel the engines air intake is taken direct from the engine bay [as yours does]

the heater air intake is on the left top wing panel [RHD vehicle]

Guest wunntenn

I just did this two days ago.

I have a 1989 110, which used to have a 19J 2.5TD and now has a 200tdi. When the tdi was fitted a new wing was put on as the old one was trashed, and the metal snorkel fitted at that point went through the wing top, without the wing side being cut as it normally would be.

The Safari 200tdi jobbie fitted this week wasn't a problem. I picked up an old plastic inner gubbins - the two-piece plastic elbow that goes from squarish on the wing side to round inside the engine compartment where it mates with the round pipe to the airfilter box.

I used the Safari snorkel as a template, and cut a cardboard guide for cutting the wing, and aligned the snorkel on the vehicle to mark the outside edges and the position of the holes (these are your fixed point of reference). I then positioned the cardboard in line with the holes and marked the inner bit to be cut.

Then the best thing to do is partly remove the inner wing plastic wheelarch liner so you can access the whole thing from below and check where the drill is coming through.

Using a drill carefully put a hole in the wing and then carefully use a hacksaw blade to cut out the metal. This is awkward but doable. Then you can fit the whole thing together with either silicone mastic or yacht adhesive/sealant (more robust and almost impossible to remove), using your hands under the wheel arch and through the aperture you just cut to get it all aligned.

There is just enough space to route the round pipe beneath the heater box and the plastic wing air-intake for the heater.

It took me about three hours and no blood (this time - unlike when I fitted the new metal inner wing and turnd my hands into 2 lbs of mince).