vibration at speed

lawrence

Took the discovery out last night, and everything was fine upto around 50-55 mph after that a got a vibration through the steetring wheel that got worse the faster I went. I pushed her upto 70 but couldn't atand the vibration, not so much on the steering wheel but from the footwell of the car. I was wondering if this is normal.,As the car behaves so good at around 50. I can't see it been an issue other than its an old car which has done a few thousand miles,(okay 170,00). What do you all think is it something I should worry about.

What do you all think is it something I should worry about.

Personally I would find out what it is rather than ignoring it. It could be an indication of something more serious.

Firstly check all your wheel bearing are ok. I had both my rear wheel bearings bizarrely loosen simultaneously and give the same symptoms.

Swap the wheels front-to-back and see if the vibration moves. Check all bushes for play.

Just be because the truck is old doesn't mean it should drive any worse than a new one.

..and if they are loose, you can tighten up the hub nut.

You'll need a hub nut box spanner and a new locking tab. Possibly a drive member gasket.

remove dust cap

remove circlip & shims

remove drive member

hammer back locking tab with a chisel/screwdriver

remove locking nut.

tighten hub nut correctly.

fit new locking washer and lock nut (or reuse old lock washer if you're cheap :ph34r: )

bend lock washer over both nuts

Refit all the other bits sitting on the ground.

I can't see it been an issue other than its an old car which has done a few thousand miles,(okay 170,00). What do you all think is it something I should worry about.

Did you mean to say 170,000 miles? If so, i'd be looking for wear at the swivel pins as well as the aforementioned suggestions by honorable members :)

have you been off roading? i find that after being out and about i get a really bad wobble above 50 - its all the mud on the inside surface of the rims - i've had to get all 4 wheels off before and give them a good clean to sort it!

Had this twice now.....both times I had lost wheel balance weights....

So, start with tyre pressures / mud lumps on inside of rim and then get all 4 balanced then move onto wheel bearings and bushes etc....

I had just put the tyres back on after an offroading trip using different tyres. I looked around the vehicle and everythiung seems fine, So i'll get the wheels balanced. I guess I could put my offroad tyres on and try that to at least eliminate the tyres as a problem. I maybe should have thought about that earlier.

After driving the car this morning I noticed that the vibration was a lot less on a smooth road. I've looked around the car for all the areas already mentioned but they all seem fine. I do know that my stearing damper is on its way out if and was wondering if this could cause the problem. I am running out of ideas and don't fancy putting it into a gararge for they to try to sort out.

Not sure, it doesn't really get to go around any corners at any speed over 60. Once up to that speed it seem to do it no matter if i'm going straight or around a corner. Although on a different matter the steering did seem very light when turning sharp right this evening on the way home, but fine when I had to turn left.