Boring old P-Clips (for brake pipe)

You mean you actually drilled the galvanised chassis? Isn't that a big no-no? (I'm new to this whole thing!)

Haven't you drilled out all the holes in the chassis yet to aid bolting parts on then ?

I drilled and riveted dozens of cable tie mounts onto my chassis for the wiring and push fit fittings for the brake pipes.

Richards drill out all the holes for things like suspension/body mountings etc. after the galvanising.

I can imagine there's a difference between drilling out pre-drilled galved holes for suspension etc, and drilling new ones through the galv.

I don't know how well galvanising works around the area of an ungalved bolt in an ungalved hole, but the galvanising won't lift like plastic coating does.

My chassis (300 tdi Defender 90 standard) came from Marsland with all the holes for the brake pipe clips in it already. In fact, I was told that it is a genuine GKN chassis which Marsland have had galvanised.

I'd be very reluctant to drill holes which will compromise the galvanising. Instead, I'm putting M5 stainless nutserts in the holes and using stainless P clips to fasten the pipe.

IME, while cold galv. paints are better than nothing, they are certainly no substitute for hot dip galvanising.

Nick.

All different metals have the potential for electrolytic corrosion. Even different types of galvanising will corrode differently from one another. Zinc plated nutserts are available but they have a miniscule thickness of zinc over plain steel so I've taken the view that stainless ones will last longer than zinc plated ones even if some corrosion takes place.

As I see it, it's whether the bolt has rusted to the nut which makes the difference as to how difficult they are to undo later, not whether the nutsert has corroded in the chassis. I'll be using stainless screws in them so there should be less corrosion where it really matters.

I can't make the entire vehicle out of exactly the same material so it's a case of choosing the least worst available combination. I did some reading around and asked a couple of metallurgists and their response was that using stainless would certainly be no worse than using thinly galvanised steel. And everything is being slathered in paint, Waxoil, CopperEase or a combination of the three as it goes together.

Nick.

Wow, it's good to get some decent replies!

I'm still unhappy with the idea of drilling.

Nick, Pedro and Luke- did you chassis come with holes or not? I presume not?

Next time I'm up i'm gonna see if there's anything else I can attach to.

What are the rules? Can't I just stick something all the way round the chassis rail that keeps it in place? Are there M.O.T. rules on this?

My chassis came with holes in the right places in it already.

I've been told that some MOT testers do not like brake pipes to be secured with cable ties, although frankly I see them as no less secure than the plastic clips used as original equipment by LandRover.

I suppose there is an issue with the need to stop the pipes from moving or vibrating due to varying pressure loads, particularly on ABS systems.

Where I think I would agree there is a problem is with the pipes being secured by being tied to other 'services', or where other items (wiring etc) are secured by being tied to the brake pipe. Apart from anything else, this makes it difficult to properly inspect the brake pipes and I can understand that being a no-no.

Nick.