Lazy wiper : prognosis

Having finally got our 300 TDi soft-top vaguely watertight - the wipers now seem to be deteriotating.

The passenger side wiper works and parks correctly and consistently.

But the driver's wiper does not have a full arc and parks some 2 - 3 inches from where it should.

I have read a number of the wiper threads on here but none that specifically refer to a lazy one - would appreciate your counsel before I start tinkering !

Thanks for your reply Luke - Both arms are new - my thinking was that its wear on the drivers spindle or the cable instealf needs replacing ?

Either backlash where the arm fits to the shaft, or an issue with the rack/pinion arrangement that runs across inside the top of the bulkhead. It's worth investigating the arm fixing before you have to delve in to the dash.

Take the dash top off and look at the offending side's wiper box (the bit that the cable fit's through on the dash where it drives the back of the wiper arm), You may find that that side's 10mm nut's on the back of the wiper box is loose or the tab that is on the rear plate has pushed outwards, If this has happened then you'll need to either push it back in with a hammer and chisel to make it tight against the rear of the spindle and/or weld the tab in place as my one kept coming loose on the passenger side which did it 3 times before I welded it in situ with a spot or 2 of weld

HTH

John

Thank you all for your suggestion heres an update

Have tightened the small screw on the spindle but this has made no difference.

If I feel how much play there is in the spindle by taking it between thumb and forefinger the passenger side which works fine has no play at all the drivers side (where the lazy wiper resides) has about 2 mm total play.

Could this be contributing to the lazy wiper ? And if so is it likely to mean a complete new spindle & gearing or cable ?

Thanks again….

PS blasted water leak as re-appeared water tracking down the clutch pedal into footwell from somewhere but thats another thread !

Have a look at my post mate as you may find that will help you it really does sound as though you have a loose wiper box and for that you'll need to do as I directed on my post above your last one other wise you'll find you maybe going round in circles it's something i've had a few times now

HTH

John

Have a look at my post mate as you may find that will help you it really does sound as though you have a loose wiper box and for that you'll need to do as I directed on my post above your last one other wise you'll find you maybe going round in circles it's something i've had a few times now

HTH

John

Thanks John - will do as you advise and report back. Much obliged.

Yes that will still be down to the wiper box behind the dash being loose I found with mine the wiper would work correctly on one side and the other-the passenger side would only wipe on the first couple of wipes then pack in wiping at all, This made the wiper sit half way across it's sweep and stay there until it decided to move, I then took the dash off as I described above and tightened the 2x10mm nuts up on the back of the spindle/wiper box the last one I typed about was more down to the tab on the rear of the spindle box moving backwards away from the spindle allowing the spindle in the box to not make contact with the cable that drives the wipers from the motor on the left hand side of my 90

You can see on the pic that there is 2x10mm nuts on there and also right in the centre is the tab I was talking about-NB:do not tighten the nut's up too much as this will slow the wipers down

HTH

John

post-16623-082052500 1283861975_thumb.png

You Sir are a gent - thanks - will take a look and report back ...

Yes that will still be down to the wiper box behind the dash being loose I found with mine the wiper would work correctly on one side and the other-the passenger side would only wipe on the first couple of wipes then pack in wiping at all, This made the wiper sit half way across it's sweep and stay there until it decided to move, I then took the dash off as I described above and tightened the 2x10mm nuts up on the back of the spindle/wiper box the last one I typed about was more down to the tab on the rear of the spindle box moving backwards away from the spindle allowing the spindle in the box to not make contact with the cable that drives the wipers from the motor on the left hand side of my 90

You can see on the pic that there is 2x10mm nuts on there and also right in the centre is the tab I was talking about-NB:do not tighten the nut's up too much as this will slow the wipers down

HTH

John

• 2 months later...

OK time for an update

I have replaced wiper spindles/boxes on both sides and the (greased) cable imbetween - all new n shiny. Also new arms and wipers.

All seems to be OK but the wipers still don't park fully horizontal - they are about 1 inch off. Watching the passenger side returning to park position - in can be seen to slow/stick during the last inch of movement and try and turn some more and sometimes it does and sometimes it does not.

So have basically replaced everything apart from the motor - or have I missed something obvious here ? Thanks

Your new wiper action sounds about right.. Some play in the drive cable and sticky screen and they sometimes settle after they stop.

As long as they work smoothly when you need them it sounds like you are in a good place. :)

Neil

Are the wiper arms placed in the same place when you attach them to the spindles that protrude from the bulkhead? If so do they also stop in the same place when they "park"?, I would now look at the wiper motor itself and see if the internals need re-greasing (as you said it slows as they park) as in you can take the front cover plate off of it to renew the large cog if you need too for a better word and also the cable maybe loose where it attaches to the cog I've attached a picture of the cog you're looking for when you remove the cover off of the front of the motor-it's held on by Phillips screws i think if my memory serves me right post-16623-073914100 1289325760_thumb.jpeg hopefully now it'll get sorted for you

HTH

John