arrrggggg help

boneheaddread

H

Hi , help needed badly , my cambelt snapped on my 1994 200 tdi disco the other day 4 bent pushrods and new belt needed fine no problem just get the parts follow the manaul job done , ????? arrrrggggg JUST SPENT THE LAST 3 DAYS TRYING TO REMOVE THE F*!"*!G FAN ,I know that its a backward thread I have the right spanner , WD the nut , tryed hot boiling water , tryed locking the fanbetl pully wirth just about everthing I own , I CAN NOT SHIFT THIS NUT , any help would be very gratefully accept ed , otherwise I am going to go mad and just cut everything off with my angle grinder ,( I am on the east london essex borders if anyone wants to do it for me )

thanks john

I have a piece of round bar that fits into a hole on the side of the fan pulley. Holding that and a sharp hard strike on the spanner (on the fan nut) will normally loosen it.

There is not enough friction on the pulley/belt to apply enough force to break the stiction on the fan nut.

I can make another one up (it's a simple turning job) and send it to you if that helps.

Cheers

Peter

I have a piece of round bar that fits into a hole on the side of the fan pulley. Holding that and a sharp hard strike on the spanner (on the fan nut) will normally loosen it.

There is not enough friction on the pulley/belt to apply enough force to break the stiction on the fan nut.

I can make another one up (it's a simple turning job) and send it to you if that helps.

Cheers

Peter

Hi thanks for the quick reply , where do you place the bar??? any chance of a quick sketch

thanks john

Hi thanks for the quick reply , where do you place the bar??? any chance of a quick sketch

thanks john

No sketch at the moment, but if you look on the side of the pulley there is at least one, if not two holes at 180 deg apart. They are about 1/2", (maybe less) from memory.

BUT, to make it work, it needs to be a reasonable fit, otherwise it will just fly out. That's why I turned one to a close fit.

Cheers

Peter

No sketch at the moment, but if you look on the side of the pulley there is at least one, if not two holes at 180 deg apart. They are about 1/2", (maybe less) from memory.

BUT, to make it work, it needs to be a reasonable fit, otherwise it will just fly out. That's why I turned one to a close fit.

Cheers

Peter

Hi , dont understand what holes that you mean?

Hi , dont understand what holes that you mean?

I have a 200TDi Defender engine, but the front of the Disco is no different. If you look on the side of the pulley that the fan screws in to, there is at least 1, if not 2 holes and they are 180 degrees apart. If you rotate the engine and look at the side of the pulley you should see them. I assume there is a proper "tool" that uses both holes so that you can firmly hold the pulley whilst beating seven kinds of cr...p out of the fan nut!

As I said before, you will need a sharp "crack" to break the stiction on the fan nut, the trouble is that the pulley will always slip slightly on the belt and most of the "crack" effect is lost!

Cheers

Peter

I have a 200TDi Defender engine, but the front of the Disco is no different. If you look on the side of the pulley that the fan screws in to, there is at least 1, if not 2 holes and they are 180 degrees apart. If you rotate the engine and look at the side of the pulley you should see them. I assume there is a proper "tool" that uses both holes so that you can firmly hold the pulley whilst beating seven kinds of cr...p out of the fan nut!

As I said before, you will need a sharp "crack" to break the stiction on the fan nut, the trouble is that the pulley will always slip slightly on the belt and most of the "crack" effect is lost!

Cheers

Peter

Hi , again there are no holes apart from the 3 screw holes that bolt the pully on on my disco?

The hole being refurred to can be seen in the picture at the top of this thread http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=3945

And a demonstration picture of the proper tool in action can be seen near the top of this thread http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=14285

Hi , now I can see the holes , problem is my is nothing like that , my belt pulley is a thin metal job that bolts to the water pump by 3 screws nothing like the hefty one in the photos

In that case, can you get a webbing strap (the sort you can use for oil filters) and restrain the pulley that way?

Cheers

Peter

Hi , tryed that alreay , and a rachet strap , just about everything at my wits end now , just want to get on and do the job ( need me landy) and stumped at the first hurdle , soon the grinders coming out and goodby fan

hmmm you can do the job (on a 200tdi) with out having to take the fan off just unbolt the water pump with it still on...

have done this lots times when i couldn't get the fan to un-screw..

simples

Hi , thats what I tried yesterday but sods law one of the waterpump housing bolts rounded of , anyway went out about an hour ago modefide the fan a bit ( cut a big slot in the back so I could get the spanner nice and flat,) put a 10 ton ratchet strap around the pully then the chassie cranked it up and thought destruction or bust and smacked s**t out of it , well to my amazment after 3 days of trying of it came as easy and smooth as anything but I will now need a new pully , pully bolts and fan , but it was worth it . thanks again for all your help and suggestions and I will be following the can belt replacment thread on here and NOT the haynes manual , thanks again john

Hi , again , well after a stuck fan nut , several rounded off water pump , timing cover bolts , and very very stubern crankshaft pully bolt I got to the cambelt , it was not snapped but corroded or rotted away it was still in one piece but missing at least half its teeth , and the inside of the timing case was full of a black shredded furry mess ???

would this be due to oil leaking into the case , fuel or water ??? I dont want to rebiuld with a new belt until I can find out why its rotted away?

any ideas or reasons what can cause this

thanks john

Belts don't always snap - sometimes they just shred teeth. If there's oil in the timing case, then possibly the crank front seal (not the timing cover dust seal), camshaft oil seal, or seepage from one of the bolts that pass right through the timing case and into the engine block.

Les.

You mean fuel leaking from the injector pump shaft seal? (behind the sprocket that the belt runs on). Yes - this is replaceable with the belt/pulley removed.

Les.

Found a place today not a mile from my home today that can supply and replace the seal on my injector pump for £25 , hopefully that will sort that ,so why I am waiting for that to be done I will strip off the timing back and replace the gasket and both crank and cam seals as well ,