Adding a 17 year old son to your insurance!

Hi

I have a 95 300tdi as a third car on a limited use policy. My 17 year old son is ready to learn to drive and hopes to pass his test by year end. Any advice on where I can get a reasonable quote? Most places are not interested unless he is the main driver and then the premiums are quoted around 4-6k!!!!

When you find out, let everybody know!

Putting teenagers as named drivers on a Policy seems to have been stopped in recent years as it became too easy to have a youngster (with little or no experience) driving a powerful car!

However, the insurance system is screwy at the best of times anyway. It goes simply on age, not experience!

My son passed his test at 17, even did "pass Plus" but still couldn't afford to insure his LR90 2.5TD.

BUT, two years later (in that time he has done no public on-road driving), as he is now two years older, the premiums have become affordable! So he can drive (his experience level is the same as it was 2 years ago, so is hsi "maturity") I would suggest, but all of a sudden, the premium drops. Crazy or what!

Cheers

Peter

When my brother was learning to drive my parents baught him a Nova, which dad insured on an "any driver" basis (with CIS), as it was cheaper doing that than specifying a 17year old as a named driver.

As above, a lot of insurers dont like young drivers as a named person, especially when its a third car, as if you look at it from their POV, its most likely to actually be the 17yo's main car, and insured in the parents name to try and save money and defraud the insurance company.

The reason most 17 year olds end up driving small engined hatchbacks is down to this exact reason. A defender is also a commercial vehicle, which will straight off limit the number of companies who will quote for him.

Your best bet is to put all the details into comparethemarket.com and confused.com both for you as the main driver, and him as the main driver and see what turns up.

I'm beginning to understand why so many young drivers drive without insurance.

It's been suggested I try the NFU, Adrian Flux and Footman James, but I'm loosing the will to live having to repeat the same old things. I tried the comparison web sites and they throw out a range of 4-7k.

Unless you have deep pockets! it is easiest for a teenager to learn to drive by just using a driving school, although my son used to come with me to non-public areas and did some driving (in my 110) just to keep familar with the vehicle. He passed first time and now has his car insured. It was simplest (and legal) for him to insure it as main driver and to have me as a named driver (which also reduced the cost).

So that is probably the easiest way, use a driving school.

When I learnt (HC Viva!), my parents to me to an old aerodrome, you can take them to supermarket car parks, but with more and mpore of them being 24hrs, finding one that's vacant is getting more difficult!

Cheers

Peter

you can take them to supermarket car parks, but with more and mpore of them being 24hrs, finding one that's vacant is getting more difficult!

Much though I agree with you that this is a sensible way to proceed, neither the supermarket nor the plod would be happy with you driving an uninsured vehicle round in a supermarket car park if they catch you. So far as the road traffic rules on tax and insurance are concerned, supermarket car parks are public highways.

DEFRA guidance is that even fields which are open access land under CROW are public places where any vehicle used should be insured for third party risks.

Nick.

(P.S.: I'm not sure that allowing the learner to drive without being insured was what you were recommending, but in the context of earlier posts in this thread it seems worthwhile making the point.)

Fair comment!

It was quite a few years ago that I did it and maybe they were more relaxed about it then....

My experience with my children "learning to drive" is that thay are taught to pass the test, not taught how to drive!

(But that's another thread!)

Cheers

Peter

To be honest trying to insure a 17 year old on a land rover is never going to be easy however you attempt it, they just see they potential damage you could do in one.

I just drove hatchbacks until I got older and got my 110 at 21 :)

Adam

I'll go through the process with a few brokers and let you know the outcome, not confident that anyone will offer anything below 2k though!

We have some farm land that he has been driving on since he was 15, just helping out with the trailor, but when I see some of his 16 year old friends driving 5 tonne tractors pulling 20 tonne trailors down country lanes I wonder what could happen their!

i used go compare and put self and wife down on my 1991 90, most quotes were about 200 fully comp we are 47 and 48 years old. when i added child of 17 the prices went up to 1500-3000 typically but the coop and irish bank came up at 860 so went with coop.

one thing though child is female and from mates comments boys seem to be 2-3k and girls 1-2k on same car typically novas.

good luck

When I learned to drive (2006) insurance was a lot cheaper, and I when I got my 90 in 2008 it was still bearable. Paid about £500 fully comp in my own name. Now it's less, although not by as much as I'd like due to the general increase in insurance prices over time.

These days insurance seems to be ridiculous for even small cars, I hear of lots of quotes well over a grand for things like Corsas, 106s, etc. I think in reality your best bet is to get your son a small car to learn with and to drive for a few years, get some NCB, and then go for the Land Rover.

Only other way is just to pay it, regardless of price.

I managed to buy insurance on my 300tdi on a Commercial Vehicle Any Driver policy via NFU for £330.

i was a named driver, so was my wife and 23 yr son.

i checked and it also covered my 17 yr old on his provisional licence.

all above board and all declared.