New air compressor, rubbish instructions so a few questions!

reb78

Rather than hijack Les' thread on air compressors, i thought i'd ask my questions seperately.

I just bought one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/50LTR-2HP-ELEC...item563b609aab

It is a Marksman 66163c 50litre 2hp compressor.

It looks well made, but as usual with some of the cheaper stuff, the instructions are woeful!

I just wondered if someone would know the answers to a couple of questions?

1. The 'crank case breather' supplied is more of a plug/bung & i cannot see it acting as a breather. This is a red bung that replaces the travel bung where the oil is topped up in the top of the crankcase and where you would normally find the dipstick. Some other models seem to have a proper breather here-i.e. one that will release pressure through a filter. If the bung supplied with this model is pushed in firmly, i cannot see it acting as a breather and could result in excessive crank case pressure. If it is not pushed in firmly, i cant see it keeping dust out well. Is this bung which is supplied likely to be the correct part & if so how firmly it should be pushed in?

2. There is no dipstick but there is a sight glass. I presume that the oil level is meant to be to the red dot in the centre of the sight glass and that since it has come supplied with oil to that level, it is ready to use?

I've asked the seller to confirm the above, but thought i'd come on here and check with the experts!

Thanks!

I dont know about the rest of the questions but the oil level is to the central dot but not below. Mine came a bit too full of oil and I had to drain a bit off,It was so full that no air gap was showing in the indicator window.

Mine is a Clarke 3HP and that has a sort of "T" shaped breather that screws in were you would top up the oil but no dipstick I think they are only on large compressors.

Have you fitted the air filter/s?

If I get time I will send you images of the breather set up of mine.

Cheers

James

Thanks for those. That is actually a breather rather than just a plug, and was more what i was expecting! Perhaps i should try and get something similar for my compressor - it seems odd that it would be completely sealed. Is there a filter in your breather of some sort, or a one way valve?

Havent fitted the air filter yet, but it looks similar to yours - i guess mine is a 1 cylinder unit though and only has one filter.

Thanks for those. That is actually a breather rather than just a plug, and was more what i was expecting! Perhaps i should try and get something similar for my compressor - it seems odd that it would be completely sealed. Is there a filter in your breather of some sort, or a one way valve?

Havent fitted the air filter yet, but it looks similar to yours - i guess mine is a 1 cylinder unit though and only has one filter.

Try Rand/B&D compressors http://www.banddcompressors.co.uk/ they are realy nice people they will probably have something like that lying around in their workshops.

All the best

James

The seller replied to my queries today and all is well. Here is the reply:

Hi Richard,

Pleased to hear that the compressor has arrived in good time and in one piece. The breather plug needs to be pushed into place when you take the travel plug out, you should notice that it has a very small hole in it so the pump can breath, sometime the factory have been known to leave the breather plug in place and put the travel plug in the bag of accessories. I can confirm the oil level should be up to the red dot on the glass viewing window. Any problems please call me on ..........

Kind regards

Martyn

That will teach me not to look properly! There is indeed a tiny hole to vent excess pressure! Can get on and use my plasma cutter and spray waxoyl till my heart is content now! Thanks for the advice on this one though.

• 3 weeks later...

Got the sir compressot linked up to my new plasma cutter today - what a pleasure that is to cut with!!

Just had another quick question though - is it advisable to release the pressure from the tank when you are finished working for the day, or can you leave it pressurised for that quick job like using the blower or putting a little air in a tyre so it doesnt have to re-pressure completely next time you turn it on?

• 5 months later...

How is your aircompressor lasting ? I bought a Marksman 9" angle grinder , about 2 yrs ago , I have probably used 4/5 cutting discs and its stripped the bevel drive gears ! tried the importer , they dont do any parts backup, had to ring them as they didnt answer 2 emails, and were basically not interested! Its the old thing you get what you pay for , my bosch 4" is 8 yrs old and used quite a bit and is still going strong . Beware buying usual chinese carp . :ph34r:

Got the sir compressot linked up to my new plasma cutter today - what a pleasure that is to cut with!!

Just had another quick question though - is it advisable to release the pressure from the tank when you are finished working for the day, or can you leave it pressurised for that quick job like using the blower or putting a little air in a tyre so it doesnt have to re-pressure completely next time you turn it on?

Hello,

got a compressor similar to yours, chinese build, but with a danish name on the label. My user manual recomends to change the oil after 5 hours use, as it is "only for the run-in of the compressor". Did in fact turn from light yellow to brown quite fast. I used ISO VG68 compressor oil. Maybe an idea, if you care about it.

Regards

Bo