laning in the Surrey Hills

Mark

Just thought I would put up a few pictures from today's trundle round a few lanes in the Surrey Hills...

Ably led by James (Retroanaconda) in his newly restored Series 3, Kev (MrKev) and Sal, Ross (RossC) and Jen, with myself and able navigator and photographer Sam at the rear, all met up and went for a gentle drive... Please excuse the Toyota...

5069273668_b4a8ebc02f.jpg

5068658683_f18aee2081.jpg

5069243080_f300e32866.jpg

5068691049_9693e83241.jpg

5068697719_ae3c2bdfbc.jpg

5069312378_a0538981b5.jpg

5068712795_353e48243e.jpg

5069327446_cca8fd2d97.jpg

5068578709_f78b0d1d12.jpg

5068751863_5a429364f2.jpg

Enjoy

Mark

we ended up doin sum around basingstoke and alton way yesterday as we did the surrey ones thursday nite and wanted summin different

did u get much hassle with the walkers and horse riders? thats y the surrey lanes are good in the nite so u dont get the idiots who dont know wots aloud on the lanes complaining to u lol

We did get a fair number of dirty looks from walkers and a couple of cyclists, but we were courteous to them and let them get on thier way. No-one seemed to want to cause any trouble, which was nice. Previously, I have only ever done these lanes in the dark, so it was really a very pleasant change to do them on a sunny day.... :)

We were discussing doing some of the lanes over towards Alton, etc. so we may well pay those a visit.

Nino, as an aside, for a lot of users of this forum, English is not thier first language, so if you could refrain from text speak, it would be appreciated.

Cheers

Mark

They are all fairly close together, 3 or 4 together albeit with a decent road stretch before we did the last 2.

I think it is wise to not to mention lanes specifically, although I think most of these are fairly well known.

They are all fairly close together, 3 or 4 together albeit with a decent road stretch before we did the last 2.

I think it is wise to not to mention lanes specifically, although I think most of these are fairly well known.

I think we are talking about the same lanes, last time I did them properly they had been graded, the long one with the big pub at the end being the most noticeable.

There was a sharp bit of angle buried at the crest of the long climb, sliced open the sidewalls of both near side tyres on one of our vehicles, not sure if it's still there but worth keeping a eye out for it, looked like it had been there for years.

the one with the pub at the end its not the chalk hill one with nice axle twisters with a pond at the top is it? thats been closed for years now

I suppose identifying it by having a pub at the end is not the best description, the one I refer to has a pub at both ends, the bottom end being on the main road and a big pub, used to be very difficult tho the temptation to play off the lane proved too much for some so it was all re-graded and fenced.

No problem at all Mark, the lay-by wasn't far away !

I'm local to the area and need to use offroad my 110 a little more. Always up for some greenlanes so I'll be watching the forum for future local-ish runs. (or pm me!)

Cheers

We did get a fair number of dirty looks from walkers and a couple of cyclists, but we were courteous to them and let them get on thier way.

Never had a problem with them when I have been out....

but that does tend to be mid-week! :P

Martin

Lots of people about when we were, even passed a Series II parked up on one of the Coldharbour lanes (albeit in an annoying place :P)

I've had verbal grief from people on these lanes before, but I think the weather must have had everyone in a good mood this time. One group of walkers, who we happened to pass at one of the more technical parts of one lane, even seemed quite impressed as we rolled past!

Another thanks to those guys who backed up for us :D

thats probley why they got 8" or so signs on the post at the byway letting you know what is and isnt aloud down them, only seen them on the surrey ones the last year or so, should start putting them everywhere

thats wot i like about some of the hampshire ones u dont get as much walkers on them nor that many other laners tbh, they do seem to do a few bike runs along them tho i have seen the pre warning signs on the posts now