New Chassis - Q plate?

I'll try and keep this brief

I bought a 51 plate cat 'C' write off with a knackered chassis.

After running round in circles between the DVLA and VOSA this was my final experience.

If you use a genuine parts or OEM chassis then you can avoid a Q plate. If you go to your local DVLA office and they will issue a new chassis number.

This requires to be stamped / permanently marked in the Offside front of the chassis in a visible manner without dismantling.

You then require to have the vehicle inspected at the DVLA office to verify the chassis number is correct and they will then issue an ammended V5. The DVLA are not interested in the stamped plate on the brake cylinder or the one in the windscreen.

I don't know about Richards, but Marslands chassis are made by GKN (who manufacture the chassis for LR in the first place) and they will issue a letter of authenticity for the chassis to OEM specification. However I did not go down this route, but purchased a chassis from Duckworths in Lincoln.

Very much a minefield isn't it.

As you say, could be argued that the transmission and engine are more modern versions of the original (especially the transmission, that was original type until Dave Ashcroft pointed out that the last one probably failed because it wasn't strong enough), but it's still an LT77...

I'd probably be tempted to do what most people do and keep my mouth shut, but then there's always that niggle.

And western, the vehicle would be the same before and after the chassis, but my point was that prior to that chassis, it has had a 200tdi in it, which came with the power steering, so potentially that's those 2 point areas gone.

I would have though that having power steering should make no difference, it still has the steering box in the same place, still uses the same basic components to actually 'do' the steering, and i doubt that if you didn;t actually tell the inspector that they'd even know it didn;t have it before..!

I asked Richards only last week if they could stamp my number into the new chassis i ordered, and they said it can't be done, as its illegal... so how come they did yours..???

it was a year ago, I assume the rules have changed? The DVLA man said 'Oh great you have the number on already that saves geting it stamped'

I would strongly recommend a visit to your local office to have a chat with your local inspector.

Mike

Very much a minefield isn't it.

As you say, could be argued that the transmission and engine are more modern versions of the original (especially the transmission, that was original type until Dave Ashcroft pointed out that the last one probably failed because it wasn't strong enough), but it's still an LT77...

I'd probably be tempted to do what most people do and keep my mouth shut, but then there's always that niggle.

And western, the vehicle would be the same before and after the chassis, but my point was that prior to that chassis, it has had a 200tdi in it, which came with the power steering, so potentially that's those 2 point areas gone.

200Tdi was also a official LR retro-fit engine kit, so it's a production unit fitted to original vehicles, still doesn't make it 'a radically altered vehicle' just a approved conversion with genuine LR supplied parts.

Hopefully this may clarify the position for some folk;

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/BuyingAndSellingAVehicle/RegisteringAVehicle/DG_10014246

In order to retain the original registration mark:

•cars and car-derived vans must use:

The original unmodified chassis or unaltered bodyshell (i.e. body and chassis as one unit - monocoque); or a new chassis or monocoque bodyshell of the same specification as the original supported by evidence from the dealer or manufacturer (e.g. receipt).

And two other major components from the original vehicle - ie suspension (front & back); steering assembly; axles (both); transmission or engine.

I'll try and answer any more questions if I can, I've probably asked most of them of VOSA / DVLA during my rebuild!

Ben

• 4 weeks later...

A quick update on our situation - described below

Truck was "inspected" yesterday at local DVLA - basically took 5 minutes. He took note of VIN number on windscreen plate, brake box and newly stamped chassis (this was done hastily by the dealer and he kindly came along too to the inspection in case needed to see rebuild photos etc) confirmed they all tallied. Noted the mileage and said thanks very much.

Said he was going to feedback to Swansea but everything was in order from what he had seen - lets hope Swansea see it the same way !

Am still hoping that we'll retain our orginal reg and the other truck may get Q plated

We have been pinged by the DVLA on this today.

Our 90 was re-chassised (brand new) by the dealer we purchased if from - and to my knowledge has no VIN number stamped on the new chassis - although it does have the original VIN on the brake box and indeed the windscreen plate. It retains the same suspension type (although new components) - same axles - same transmission - same sterring assembly and engine. So should score > 8 points given James' kind post above when inspected - hopefully.

But the "old" chassis was subsequently used by the dealer to replace the orginal rusted chassis on another older 90 "g" plate

Both us and the owners of the "old" chassised 90 have been asked to local DVLA for inspection.

Am I right in thinking that if the above holds true - we should be able to avoid the Q plate and retain our orginal plate and VIN.

And the risk is to the other G plate truck which may end up on a Q plate ?

DVLA Swansea were not very forthcoming with potential outcomes.

Thanks

I have carried out over 50 chassis swaps in conjunction with Richards Chassis(next door) and this is how things are-

all the info below is assuming you are replacing the chassis with a direct replacement(eg not shortened,lengthened traybacked etc)

If you are fitting a NEW(ie Richards)chassis,you DO NOT need to inform the dvla as it is classed like any other direct replacement part

You DO NOT need to stamp the new chassis(although i would advise you do or your car is a sitting duck for tealeaves :angry: )

Richards are not legally allowed to stamp your chassis(unless of course i am doing the swap and can confirm the old chassis is destroyed) but the garage or individual carrying out the work can.This is due to the fact that if the original chassis re-appearred a couple of years later on you would have a hell of a job proving that yours was the genuine vehicle(please dont be tempted to resell your original chassis!!! cut it up and destroy the number if you are scrapping it)

For this reason when i carry out a swap i do a photographic record for the owner and cut the corner off the original chassis with the number on,this way the owner can prove both that he owns the original vehicle AND that the original chassis had been destroyed and if the number ever appears elsewhere that they have the original(genuine) stamped chassis section

Obvously older series chassis dont have a number stamped so this isnt neccesary(plus usually the series chassis are in such a state as the could never be re used :ph34r: )

Recently there have been several "galvanised chassis :huh: " appearing on ebay rediculously cheap,these have turned out to be second hand chassis sandblasted and galved(including galving over sheared bolts in a lot of cases. :D .These are what the police are clamping down on as sometimes the donor chassis is knicked and if there is any doubt you have a second hand chassis you will be sent for a vic/iva test and it will be up to you to prove the chassis is legit :o

Hope this helps clarify things

Paul

Hi Paul, thanks for that..... my chassis is due in the next week or two, spoke to richards yestersday..........

I am currently taking deliveries, (several!) of bits for the rebuild..... why do these things always end up costing more than you think oroginally...LOL....

I'm now going to lift my body with a scaffold frame and block and tackle..... fingers crossed it'll go ok..... i have three weeks off over xmas to do it, so should have loads of time....

Ron.

ps, i noticed you've not been around for a while.... hope all ok!!!

Hi Ron,the golden rule is to work out what you think it is going to cost,double it add £100 then double it again and you shouldnt be far off :lol: .Not been on here for ages because work has been bonkers busy :)

Dont forget,when you do yours if you have any probs give me a bell

Paul :wacko:

• 1 month later...

We have finally heard back from the DVLA on their "investigation".

Thankfully the prognosis is good with no chnages to our vehicle being required.

The other vehicle involved (which received our "old" chassis) has had a new chassis number provided by the DVLA and stamped on the vehicle - and will probably end up on a Q plate.

A quick update on our situation - described below

Truck was "inspected" yesterday at local DVLA - basically took 5 minutes. He took note of VIN number on windscreen plate, brake box and newly stamped chassis (this was done hastily by the dealer and he kindly came along too to the inspection in case needed to see rebuild photos etc) confirmed they all tallied. Noted the mileage and said thanks very much.

Said he was going to feedback to Swansea but everything was in order from what he had seen - lets hope Swansea see it the same way !

Am still hoping that we'll retain our orginal reg and the other truck may get Q plated