Fuel economy of different engines in Series.

RobSmith

One thing to bear in mind is the condition of the engine concerned. A worn out old oil burner will be performing way below optimum which will be reflected in its economy, whereas a fully rebuilt one should should a big improvement over those figures.

I dropped a Rover SD1 3.5 V8 into a 110 a long time ago without doing anything to it - it only just nudged 12mpg when I drove it like a vicar, otherwise it'd be well into single figures. I've heard of 2.25 diesels only returning 22mpg, but also rebuilt 2.25Ds doing over 30mpg.

What I'm trying to say is that you should use this figures quoted in these replies as ballpark figures - you almost certainly will get something different due to the different wear in the engine, different gearing, and of course driving style & geographical influences. Whatever you chose, I'd recommend you at least hone and re-ring, renew the valve seats and guides, and replace the big end bearings - at least the engine will be in a reasonable condition after this.

If the original engine is petrol, then another option is to drag it into the current milennium by fitting MegaSquirt'n'EDIS to it, not a difficult job and should give significant performance, driveability, reliablilty and economy gains as well as allowing for other tuning such as raised compression etc.

The 2.25 lumps are so de-tuned to cope with poor fuel / stationary running etc. I reckon there's good gains to be had. Also, no-one's done it yet. A few have started / expressed interest, but none seem to have come back having actually done it.

If the original engine is petrol, then another option is to drag it into the current milennium by fitting MegaSquirt'n'EDIS to it, not a difficult job and should give significant performance, driveability, reliablilty and economy gains as well as allowing for other tuning such as raised compression etc.

The 2.25 lumps are so de-tuned to cope with poor fuel / stationary running etc. I reckon there's good gains to be had. Also, no-one's done it yet. A few have started / expressed interest, but none seem to have come back having actually done it.

I'd agree with that. Even changing the carb and ignition, or just a damned good tune up, can reap big rewards - the 24V MoD LRs have a basic distributor with no vacuum advance, and that costs a couple of mpg alone!

The 2.5 petrol is little more than a stroked 2.25 with a better carb and slightly ignition system, yet returns better economy and more power/torque...

There is also the possibility of LPG conversions - it gives better cost economy than diesels tend to and does not increase noise or vibration levels in the car or change its performance in any significant manner, and the conversion will not be so involved or complex as an engine change. the main issues are the local availability of LPG and whether you have the space for the tanks - a 109 can use front tanks for petrol and replace the rear tank with gas tanks, but space is a bit more limited in a SWB if you don't want one inside the tub.

Rich, the 2.25 was never considered frugal, but it may not have seemed particularly thirsty in its day. However, in modern terms it is thirsty, and looking at fifty year old comparisons when modern alternatives are available is a bit Luddite.

• 5 weeks later...

I've a 109, 2 1/4 with a 2 1/2 head (unleaded).

Towing a decent trailer (usually with a land rover on board) I get 15mpg. The trailer forces me to drive sensibly.

Tooling about in town I don't get that (too much fun!).

I toy with the idea of going diesel (I've a tdi200 sat in the shed), but I can't bear to change it.

G.

2a 3ltr ford v6 series 2a gearbox with overdrive and rangerover diffs = 24 to the gallon or are we not allowed to mention ford engines ???

Only in the Defender Puma thread!!!

G.