Congestion Charge to Rise for 4x4s?

Steve King

According to the BBC the congestion charge may rise to £20 for 4x4s as a result of a petition by the anti 4x4 brigade.

A tax according to a vehicle's size or engine size would be fair (sort of) but additional tax just because of the number of driven wheels is daft!

Would a Panda 4x4 have to pay? Or how about a Series in 2 wheel drive mode?

According to the BBC the congestion charge may rise to £20 for 4x4s as a result of a petition by the anti 4x4 brigade.

A tax according to a vehicle's size or engine size would be fair (sort of) but additional tax just because of the number of driven wheels is daft!

Would a Panda 4x4 have to pay? Or how about a Series in 2 wheel drive mode?

The Average Merc uses more fuel than a disco Td5 does

Half wits

seems the 4x4 bit is just attention seeking. The proposal is :

They want owners of cars producing more than 225g/km of CO2 to pay £20 a day - £12 more than everyone else

No idea what the emissions are on my Landies.

No idea what the emissions are on my Landies.

I was just going to say the same. There seems to be no data for vehicles before 1997. Unfortunately, whilst I do like the way that Red Ken is passionate about his home town, it does seem that he is somewhat against 4x4 drivers, so this could be the reason he is looking for to increase the charge. Whilst I do EVERYTHING I can to stay away from London (I'm definately a country boy at heart) it does seem that this government is incredibly London-centric, so what starts in London infects the sane world very shortly after.

Well It won't stop us 110 SW users.

9 seats or more are exempt. :lol:

(if registered and seating capacity on V5)

I guess Ken and the green loonies will have something to say about that!

I'm planning to move from London in a few years, but until then I'm only ½ mile from the Congestion Charging Zone! :(

Sounds like you can take the Transit then Dave. :)

Chris

Yes, the Connect was fitted by Ford when new.

Never realised you cannot register aftermarket vehicle?

Gues Red Ken would have thrown my application back!

Why not aftermarket, do they give a reason?

Guest diesel_jim

Reading the BBC's text further down on that story:

Many other gas-guzzlers are equally polluting, even if they don't pose the same safety hazards, so we have proposed a simple system of charging cars a higher rate according to their carbon dioxide emissions," she said.

so, between the lines, it's just for cars over 225225g/km , but the press being the press, thought it would look better if there were the words 4x4 emblazened over the headlines.

it relates to all cars over that emission limit.

still carp though. although my 110, like has been said, can go there for free. it's just that i don't want to! :D

charge may rise to £20 for 4x4s as a result of a petition by the anti 4x4 brigade.

Has any one ever started an anti Anti 4x4 brigade. I only ask as it seems to me that there are more folk getting out there in their 4x4's than those tredding paths.

how is it that their view of how the earth should be used seems to limit the enjoyment of so many?

Just a humble (let me lay down in that puddle so you dont get your walking boots wet) viewpoint