14 June

BogMonster

Crikey, that long ago.

Yep. All comes back on 14 June though, for a short time it all seems like yesterday.... next year is the 25th, a big event both here and in London.

Remembrance is the central part of the day but it is not unknown for the odd few jars to be sunk afterwards, also a time of celebration for us, getting rid of a bunch of extremely unwelcome visitors ;)

aiy, interesting to read the number of merchant navy seamen and civvy chefs et cetera that unfortunately didn't make it to seeing the end of the war, think I read three islander's who were also listed

Yes, there were three locals killed. Tragically a British 4.5" shell from the night time naval bombardment of Stanley went astray and landed on the house they were in. A year or so ago I met the guy who was doing the gunnery spotting (SBS bloke, really nice guy came back here with his young son for Christmas) he even went to the house that the shell landed on to apologise.

hi Steve, I was in the UK in 1982 on my OE. An exciting but also sobering time. Looking thru that site brought back a flood of memories & emotions. Scarey to think it was so long ago, must make me a certified (or certifiable :D ) old bu55er. Thanks for the heads up.

Steve

Thanks for posting that - the websites are very moving. My Uncle was out there for a while with the Army - I'm not sure in what capacity as he doesn't talk about it.

I was only 4 at the time so didn't really understand what was going on at the time - therefore I appreciate sites such as these both from a historical information point of view (not calling any of you old) and trying to understand more about it.

Thanks again

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old.

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.

At the going down of the sun and in the morning

We will remember them."

SAMA 82

SAMA 82 (FI)

Thanks for the reminder Steve, certainly moving websites

Sitting here with my 18 day old son, thanking the day I met his mum which stopped me accepting the commission offer from the Royal Marines, big respect and gratitude to those in the services.........

Was seeing a Navy guy at the time, your reminder made me dig out his letters and after reading them i tracked him down.

Great to hear that he is happily married, with it sounds like a couple of great kids too!

We plan to meet up soon for a good chat and catch up with what we both have been doing all these years( we both rode scooters at the time!!)