300tdi Clutch

Hi my clutch went the other day and decided i wanted to take the engine out instead of mucking around underneath with the gear box. (i think it was a good idea)

Anyway i got it all out in an about 4 -5 hours and the engine is on the floor

the prob was the clutch fork i think its called has pushed through and made a hole so would not disengage.

Does anyone have any photos of how to put the clutch in now as I'm not sure what to do with all the new bits i have bought.. i have an uprated welded fork which is straightforward but there is loads of other little bits , cone shape things and plastic tooth pics :) ?

Also my clutch release bearing looks different to the one as the new one has a shield aronud it... its part number is FTC5200G (my truck is a 1994 defender 300tdi)

Also is there any thing else i should change while im here..i have been reading things like crank seal and spigot bearing... is this worth doing? its done 130k but from what i can see its not leaking.

thanks in advance, sorry for all the questions not been this deep into the engine before

Will

Another quick question: on a usual bearing i.e a wheel bearing you can spin the outer race if yuou hold it in your hands. ON my new clutch release bearing it has a shield around it that wont spin and will only turn if you put your fingers inside and turn it... is this correct? (i cant check against my old one as the whole thing turns like a wheel beaing badly as its well worn).

the U shaped clips are to hold the 2 oval slipper pads in place, these slipper pads fit on the 2 pins on the clutch fork & then sit on the release bearing sleeve at the flattened areas, the bearing will rotate once it's slide on the gearbox shaft & all fitted with the fork/pads.

page 330

trial fit the fork/bearing slipper pads on the bench first before final fit to vehicle,just so you know how it all fits together.

Thanks again western for your fast response.

Is there anything else i should change while im here..i have been reading things like crank seal and spigot bearing... is this worth doing? its done 130k but from what i can see its not leaking.

Also do i take the cover off this clutch release bearing or is that meant to stay on?

thanks

Will

Fill the old spigot bush with grease and find something that is a close internal fit to the bush.

I used a socket extension.

Put the extension in the middle of the old bush, hit it with a hammer and the grease will drive the old bush out.

another quick question................. i have a clutch alignment tool i bought to get the clutch lined up. If for some reason i fit this wrong or a tiny bit out... am i right in thinking i wont be able to get the gear box together...so i cant fit it wrong drive off and worry about fitting it wrong...it will either work or not?

once the gearbox shaft splines have started to engage the friction plate splines, it will pull together, you'll be dead lucky for everything to line up & fit without any effort.

the flat side of the friction plate goes facing the flywheel, the raised centre fits inside the pressure cover, once it's fitted bleed & check clutch pedal height,pushrod adjustment at the clutch master cylinder, you'll find the info in this forum with a search for - clutch pedal adjustment.

I find the trick to getting the input shaft back in the splines is to get them together, then with the gearbox IN gear, turn the crank pulley with a socket..... ideally whilst pushing the engine backwards.... this will allow the splines ti slip into place........ oh, and i'vbe NEVER used an alignment tool... in 30 yrs i've never failed yet to get a clutch together without one!

i have done it!!! what an arse of a job... another one ill add to the list of don't want to do that again :) took ages i didn't think about turning the engine over so took me ages to work that.. also my engine crane wouldn't quite stretch far enough plus a whole load of other annoying things..

took me about 6 hours to get it in - better not sign up to Mclaren yet

cheers for all your help just need to plumb it all in now..

i really hope i have put the clutch plate in the right way. i did it so the fatter bit stuck out towards the gear box is this right? by the time i had tightened all the bolts up its locked solid...

have to wait and see

Cheers

When i did mine, the hoist wasn't 'quite' long enough either, i ended up with the engine hanging 'down' at the back to give the length i needed, then jacked the back of the engine up, and put a ratchet strap around the hoist and bumper to hold tension on it, then wound the engine over and CLICK.... it went together!..:)

Doing it with the engine out is i'm sure easier than removing the gearbox, esp if you don;t have a ramp and transmission jack etc..........

i have done it!!! what an arse of a job... another one ill add to the list of don't want to do that again :) took ages i didn't think about turning the engine over so took me ages to work that.. also my engine crane wouldn't quite stretch far enough plus a whole load of other annoying things..

took me about 6 hours to get it in - better not sign up to Mclaren yet

cheers for all your help just need to plumb it all in now..

i really hope i have put the clutch plate in the right way. i did it so the fatter bit stuck out towards the gear box is this right? by the time i had tightened all the bolts up its locked solid...

have to wait and see

Cheers

Correct, the friction plate is gripped by the pressure cover & rotates with the gearbox shaft, it'll work when you need to use the clutch.