Tyres for the trip

tweetyduck

As you may know im' off round the world in my 110. I've as much decided BFG ATs are the way to go but at what size?

Currently have 235/85/16. Can these be easily replaced almost anywhere? Or is there a more standard size?

I'm not at all bothered about looks what i want is a standard size with good performance driving in all conditions? I'm of course presuming BFG can be sourced world wide?

As you may know im' off round the world in my 110. I've as much decided BFG ATs are the way to go but at what size?

Currently have 235/85/16. Can these be easily replaced almost anywhere? Or is there a more standard size?

I'm not at all bothered about looks what i want is a standard size with good performance driving in all conditions? I'm of course presuming BFG can be sourced world wide?

235/85R16 is roughly the same diameter as 7.5x16, so in a pinch you can use some of that size for replacements

, and that's a very common size as well. So I should think your choice of tire dimension is just about perfect with regard to replacement availability around the world.

235/85 r16 is about the best choice , as 750r16 is about the most common size apart from in USA , but USA has good logistic infrastructure anyway. It can be swapped with 235/85 without any real problems . I would however suggest that if you are going anywhere during wet season (winter) then BFG MT would be a better choice, it is only at a disadvantage over a/t from a noise perspective, and marginally worse on sand (digs quicker if you spin wheel).

Thanks very much to you all.

@tacr2man - I've considered the BFG KM2 Mut Terrain but think it would be overkill. I will regret it at some point, i'm sure of that and we will end up in somewhere wet and we will get stuck. I'll take another look round to see what the other RTW cars are using and then all i need to do is order 6 !

The tyres must be M+S and i think either the KM2 or the T/A KO meet that spec. If we don't get M+S i'll need to get chains and even then we might need chains at some point. Its like packing for the Beach and Skiing in one trip.

Bear in mind that 95% of the time you will be driving on metalled road surfaces, probably about 4% on unmade gravel tracks and maybe 1% on no surface at all. Over-land trips are about seeing the world, not mud-plugging adventures, it's not going to be any fun digging a heavy 110 out in 40°C heat so you'll probably avoid the mud/snow/rivers where possible.

Bearing in mind the surfaces covered I'd have one of the 7.50 tyres that are renowned for their longevity (I think there's a Michelin tyre which is hard to kill) and that you can put tubes in if you need to.

BFG ATs are good though, they're well known for starship mileage and will get you everywhere you need to go :)

• 2 weeks later...

I've destroyed two Cooper STT's so far in Africa, and down the East coast, tyres have been difficult to get hold of unless you are willing to pay close on $500 dollars each for a good brand (was quoted more for Cooper/BFG), or $180 for chinese ones. tyres are real expensive here, and many of the roads are beyond bad, especially in Kenya.

If you can spare the room, it's not a bad idea to take a sixth tyre, and when you're on your trip keep an eye on tyre pressures and damage.

it's also worth trying to get hold of some proper puncture repair patches to take with you - in Africa garages and tyre places tend to just use the sticky tyre plugs (ok for a get you home, but they don't last).

Thanks.

I now have 6 wolf wheels and six BFG AT tyres. Will be taking an inner tube or two and some repair patches. The local ATS place did me a few spare valves and stuff. All i need to do now is figure out how to fix a tyre with the minimal effort it should deserve.......normally it looks very hard but i got it covered.

What i need is tyre soap, string and some patches and them i'm set. They seem expensive !