Td5 into RRC, has anyone done it

v8bobber

I do love the 'ol RRC Tdi that I have, and it's really good machine that does what I want it too, the only thing is i'd like it to do those things a bit faster.

I tried the intercooler route with my old 90 but it was still never as fast as the Td5 90 we have in work.

I have an opportunity to take the vehicle off the road for a bit and go for gold.

Has anyone done this (successfully) and if so has anyone got any pics?

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

I've read a bit about people trying to put Td5s into non-Td5 Land Rovers in the various comics, and TBH it sounds next door to impossible unless you have a degree in Electronic Engineering and a bit of "factory" knowledge. Getting it in is the easy bit. Getting it to run is the problem! In a RRC, you'd have to have so many emulators to fool the ECU into thinking it was connected to a "proper" vehicle that you'd go mad working out what went where and when.

Easy route: humongous intercooler and tweak the fuel pump. Cost and hassle - 1/10th of the heartache of trying to fit a Td5.

Just my 2p worth.

What's an emulator? From my experience of fitting boat "fly by wire" engines, there can't be as many sensors etc as there is on those. I'm guessing that there is an air temp sensor, a diesel temp sensor and everything else should be internal. Do you know any different?

Dave

What's an emulator? From my experience of fitting boat "fly by wire" engines, there can't be as many sensors etc as there is on those. I'm guessing that there is an air temp sensor, a diesel temp sensor and everything else should be internal. Do you know any different?

I'm guessing here, but it's probably more of a case of it expects to talk to various other on board systems (BECM, etc.) and sulks if they aren't there?

Foers did one of the first retrofits in an Ibex.

They had lots of trouble, and that was with factory assistance.

If I remember the story correctly, the engine finally ran after courtesy lights were installed and connected !!

Guest diesel_jim

Martin Lewis fitted a Td5 into his old TD 90, his site is here

If you get the whole defender loom (a mate of mine won one on eblag for about £70) you can just extend/shorten it to suite. especially if the engine is going into a bobtail type truck.

I'm not knocking the destination vehicle, it's just that you won't need all the posh things that a Td5 disco would have, and the defender loom would have just enough electrical gubbins to run a basic vehicle without too much to go wrong.