Window frame: galvanized or body colour?

Jeff Young

The answer is actually quite simple.

All Series (1, 2 and 3) have galvanised windscreen frames.

Series 1's have galvanised door frames with alloy panels riveted to the outside of the tops. Series 2's had an excellent styling job done on them which meant they got steel door frames with an alloy cladding all over - so they should be painted - and apart from the catches there's no galvanising in the doors at all.

Most sliding side windows fit from the inside and so are painted. Some have alloy surrounds which are left bare. The rear door glass is fitted behind the skin and again its all painted.

Sorry, I wasn't very clear: I was asking about the front window frame.

Then again, I'll no doubt need the other answers too. ;)

Jeff.

The front windshield frame is galv up until the boing, boing, 90 and 110 models.

Gently clean it using a scotch block, then rub it down with clear waxoil to prevent further corrosion.

If bad then get it redipped.

G.

Thanks, Gary.

The PO painted it, so hopefully the galvanization is in reasonably good nick under the paint. I assume paint strippers (say, nitromours) are safe on galvanised?

Jeff.

yep - the varnish stuff. remove the glass. remove the dum dum, wear gloves that cover your wrists (seriously horrible stuff), wash it off thoroughly. Neutralise with water/white spirit depending on the instructions. Use new dum dum.

G.