what socket set?

gti-90

as part of our sponsoring for the charity tractor run, draper have given us a socket set. this has all the drives and 4mm up to 32 etc with driver bits etc.

the sockets are some kind of wierd looking walldrive sockets. of which at first i was rather dubious because they dont look normal and they seem to have a bit of play rather than a snug fit. however having used them theyre pretty amasing. basically makes it impossible to round off a bolt head. the 1/2" ratchet on the other hand has already broke.

don,t laugh but lidle supermarket have a 1/2" drive set on promo at the moment,about £30,plenty good enough for diy use,i bought one of there 1/4 drive sets 6 years ago,still going strong,used most days.

I've had a full set from them (spanners 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" etc) which is similar to the big halfords one. It cost be £30 and lives in the 90. The ratchets aren't great but other than that I can't fault it. I would have bought a halfords version but there is nowhere in the 90 that I can lock it up (soft top). The sockets have stood up well to abuse from a rattle gun!

I also had a set of spanners from aldi 3 years ago for a tenner. My mate used it and sheared an m10 8.8 bolt before the spanner let go! For things that will get wet/rusty, lent to people on play days and lost in mud they are ideal

The stuff in my garage consists of Sealey Pro (good for the money) Halfords Pro (very good for the money and good returns policy) and a few bits of Snap-on but only when they are on offer and the bloke in the van will haggle for cash :ph34r: I've also got dad's 25 year old Kamasa set, the ratchet has only just broken and the set has never been looked after but it's still going strong.

For general Land Rover work you can't go too far wrong with the Halfords pro sets.

the vice was made of cheese. and do i have you on facebook then? or did i post that up here? haha

:) I think you have most of your stuff either shared public or friends of friends so it will have a wider audience than you suspect.

It's actually a good example of just because some cheap tools look the same as their expensive brothers it's not always the case under the shiny paint/chrome/etc.....

When I was a teenager I had a socket of the el-cheapo machinemart Clarke variety (<£15) which lasted me well, as I wasn’t exactly kind to my kit when I was young-n-dumb.

Over the years I expanded it and eventually put it all on a socket tray. But I now have Bergen sockets, which are IMHO very good value, and I’ve yet to bust one. They have that pro-quality ‘feel’ and I picked up a two rails of ½” sockets in 10 – 32 mm for less than £30!

Sellers are usually at shows, or on the bay of E and also Amazon (important for me as I occasionally get Amazon vouchers given to me at work for ‘going the extra mile’).

But I wouldn’t advocate this approach if you can, best to buy as comprehensive a set as you can afford (but still good quality) – hence why Halfrauds are winners here.

As has been said, no one socket set will do everything you want it to do, even if you spend north of a grand with your local Snap-on/MAC rep. Especially working on Landies, where you will need A/F imperial, but hopefully not Whitworth! Keeping your Eurobox running will require a decent selection of Torx sockets too, and Hex head socket sets are soo much better than messing with ‘allen’ keys.

I’ve also advocated elsewhere on this forum that if you are going to be doing lots of spannering on a Land Rover, a ¾” socket set (even a cheap one) is well worth it. You use the ¾” socket+breaker bar to ‘crack’ the nut, and the smaller calibre-socketry to actually undo them! To EHS tip:The act of having to think about where you place the larger tommy bar actually saves your knuckles too, as it forces you to think what your hands will smack in to when the bolt does shift!

i always like to keep those really cheap spanners too because sometimes they can be a great fit onto an old/worn/wierd bolt.. i.e. the flange bolts on all my series seem to be a very loose 5/8" tight fit 15mm and a very loose 16.

a cheap 15mm spanner usually fits perfectly

as part of our sponsoring for the charity tractor run, draper have given us a socket set. this has all the drives and 4mm up to 32 etc with driver bits etc.

the sockets are some kind of wierd looking walldrive sockets. of which at first i was rather dubious because they dont look normal and they seem to have a bit of play rather than a snug fit. however having used them theyre pretty amasing. basically makes it impossible to round off a bolt head. the 1/2" ratchet on the other hand has already broke.

I've not tried the ratchets I have the sockets in 1/4,3/8 and 1/2 the wobble extensions and a full set of the ratchet spanners and I've been happy with them so far.If your looking for a socket set you can go far wrong than the Halfords set, I just didn't like mine and ending up swapping them for an interior for my Capri. I've got a mix of stuff including Snap on,Sealey,Bergen,Halfords and Gedore as well as odd bits of Britool (old and new),Proto,Bluepoint and (not so good) Silverline. It's all pretty decent stuff these days it sometimes just comes down to personal preference