35" Tyres ???

Will my 200Tdi pull 35/12.5/15 Mickey Thompson Baja Claws alright ?

I assume I'll have to put wider arches on ? The wheels have a large off set, I know it'll strain the wheel bearings more, but I change them as required anyway.

Is anyone running this size of tyre ?

Has your truck had a suspension lift mate?

That aside it depends what you use it for, if you are using it for serious off road stuff the gearing will be wrong unless you are going to change ratios.

Yes, it's lifted.

What will be wrong with the gearing for off road ?

Any idea what they'd be like on the road ?

Haven't used that particular tyre (so I may be wrong) but I have run a modified RRC with a 3" lift and 35" Creepy Crawlers.

Let's just say motorway speeds were interesting :o you will also loose some of the low ratio control you have at the moment.

I can't get to motorway speeds at the moment :(

How bad was it ?

I do have to drive some distances to get to where we go off roading.

I've got Special Tracks on at the moment they're 'ok' on the road but not fantastic.

Will 'low' performance be altered significantly ?

I run that size tyre on my 90 with a +3 lift and QT arches, drives fine to me and will do 70. Off road isn't an issue in low box as the ratios are all the same it's high range that's different on defenders compared to discos etc

Only thing on mine is it's not on it's original transfer box so it's possible it could be a disco one giving a different high range although I'm fairly shaw it was a defender box we fitted...

Hi I run 33 BFs now and have to use 1st gear on my 300tdi to pull away, with standard tyres I never had to use 1st. I also found that my speedo reads exact according to my sat nav, used to be about 5mph short.

Frax

I have 34" Simex on my 90, It does effect the gearing in both low and high range, In high its a little slower pulling away but I can do 80mph with them on, in low box as stuck said you will loose some control with 1st and 2nd gear descents as the gearing has been raised so it doesnt crawl as slow as it would with smaller tyres. But its not really that bad but I would definitely say ask your self do you really need bigger tyres as they will take their toll on diffs and shafts ect. special Tracks are good tyres, why not maybe fit an ARB or something instead as you will get further than with bigger tyres?

Dave.

I have 34" Simex on my 90, It does effect the gearing in both low and high range, In high its a little slower pulling away but I can do 80mph with them on, in low box as stuck said you will loose some control with 1st and 2nd gear descents as the gearing has been raised so it doesnt crawl as slow as it would with smaller tyres. But its not really that bad but I would definitely say ask your self do you really need bigger tyres as they will take their toll on diffs and shafts ect. special Tracks are good tyres, why not maybe fit an ARB or something instead as you will get further than with bigger tyres?

Dave.

Hi Dave

Don't get me wrong - I really rate the Secial Tracks.

I'm doing a straight swap for the Claws.

I like the idea of better road gearing, as mine is quite slow ( will be putting Disco transfer box on soon ). I don't do any heavy towing with, it's more of a toy.

Diffs and shafts - I hear what you're saying, but I almost class those as consumables. Although I've only ever done diffs, not shafts.

Difflocks are on the cards - but some way down the line.

Cheers

Rob

Hi Dave

Don't get me wrong - I really rate the Secial Tracks.

I'm doing a straight swap for the Claws.

I like the idea of better road gearing, as mine is quite slow ( will be putting Disco transfer box on soon ). I don't do any heavy towing with, it's more of a toy.

Diffs and shafts - I hear what you're saying, but I almost class those as consumables. Although I've only ever done diffs, not shafts.

Difflocks are on the cards - but some way down the line.

Cheers

Rob

If you plan to run 35" tyres running a disco xfer case is a really bad idea as it will be really overgeared and your engine will really struggle to pull the 90 along, you will want either the standard defender transfer box or an early 110 which is lower again. Like fridge said have a look for the gear calculator on here and you will see how much higher geared your 90 will become.

I can understand that you want to raise the gearing slightly, but by doing both the disco transfer box and huge tyres it will raise the gearing alot you would theoretically have a much higher top speed but you will never get close to reaching that speed as you wont have the pull.

Dave.

If you plan to run 35" tyres running a disco xfer case is a really bad idea as it will be really overgeared and your engine will really struggle to pull the 90 along, you will want either the standard defender transfer box or an early 110 which is lower again. Like fridge said have a look for the gear calculator on here and you will see how much higher geared your 90 will become.

I can understand that you want to raise the gearing slightly, but by doing both the disco transfer box and huge tyres it will raise the gearing alot you would theoretically have a much higher top speed but you will never get close to reaching that speed as you wont have the pull.

Dave.

Thanks for that - it's saved me the job of changing the transfer box :)

I'll have a look at the gear calculator now.

Will my 200Tdi pull 35/12.5/15 Mickey Thompson Baja Claws alright ?

I assume I'll have to put wider arches on ? The wheels have a large off set, I know it'll strain the wheel bearings more, but I change them as required anyway.

Is anyone running this size of tyre ?

I have the 37x13x17 Mickey Competition Claws on my 90 TD5, standard gearing, no real problem onroad, would do 70 if needed and acceptable manners cruising at 60. Just need to use the lower gears a bit more.

Offroad, as said, you will lose some control at low speeds.

A mate had the 33x13.5x15 Baja Claw Radial on his 110 TD5, besides the noise it was a great set both on and offroad.

If you don't mind the price, go for it, great tires!

Greetz,

Filip