diff lock and fwd

Dark green 90

The wifes Disco (mk1,300,97-8) has shredded the rear prop doughnut,taking 3 sides off all the bolt heads and badly worn the 3 bolt diff end of the prop, i was quite supprised at the damage as the noise it was making didnt seem that bad.

Anyway while i have removed the rear prop and will be looking to source another, will it be ok for her to potter round with difflock on in FWD?

How long do the doughnuts last normally,i changed the last one six months ago due to an MOT advisory because it was perished,the new one has self distructed :o

Land Rovers are always 4wheel drive!

but yes, take the rear (or front, but not both at the same time :P) off, stick her is diff lock and drive away.

its not clever to do it with drive to both axles as it winds the transmition up, but if only one axle is driving, no worries.

Pete

Popular option that myself and a lot of others have done is to change the rear prop for the older style with UJ's at both ends. Must have replaced my doughnut type half a dozen times before doing this for the same reason. Done it maybe eight months ago and no problems so far :)

Also as pete300tdi90 said there is no problem running in diff lock with one of the props removed. Just watch the handling on corners if you ever need to do this with the front as mine was a little rear-end-happy on roundabouts.

HTH

Just tell her to take it easy if she has a very heavy right foot as it will be putting extra strain through the prop and shaft and the t-box oil will run hotter than normal.

In fixing it I would uppgrade to the 4 bolt drive flange that you get on the earlier 200tdi which will get rid of the doughnut for good, they seldom last very long espically pattern and really aren't worth the effort tbh.

When I had problems with the cardan joint on the front driveshaft of my D2 I removed it and drove around with difflock on for about 6 weeks .

However be aware that the Disco will 'feel' very different - in this case like a front wheel drive .

And you could easily get stuck in soft/slippy conditions that would normally be no problem .

Was nearly caught out once or twice - could be embarassing .

I was lucky that my D2 had all the gear in place - just used a 10mm to turn the lever on the gearbox .

Often when the rubber donut fails, the 'bearing' at the inside of the prop is also damaged. If you don't change both, the new donut will wear out very quickly. The OEM part includes donut and bearing, and although it can be a PITA to remove the old one, it's definitely worth the effort.

Also make sure the handbrake drum is secure, I know someone on here who lost their drum driving round with no rear prop on. :o

:blush::ph34r:

I was under some stress at the time, as you might remember.

Know someone else who had it happen too, despite seeing it happen with me...