defender 300tdi conversion troubles

stobbie

Hi,

We have converted a def 110 300 tdi to automatic.

We have used the engine and boxes out of a 1994 discovery. Everything worked fine in the discovery.

Now in the defender we don't have any drive.

What can we have done wrong?

Hi,

We have converted a def 110 300 tdi to automatic.

We have used the engine and boxes out of a 1994 discovery. Everything worked fine in the discovery.

Now in the defender we don't have any drive.

What can we have done wrong?

Have you bled all of the air out of the autobox fluid?

Hi,

assuming the engine was split from the autobox, the most common problem is a broken pump, caused when the converter is not located correctly on the pump teeth,

to check, disconnect an oil cooler pipe and start the engine,

it should come out under pressure like a hose pipe, if it doesn't then the pump is broken,

Dave

Yes, we did split the engine and gearbox, but we have left the torque converter fixed to the engine, and just put the box behind it again after fitting it to the defender.

if we have left the torque converter on the engine, can we still have damaged the pump then?

I'm going to check if there's oil pressure in a few hours...

if we have left the torque converter on the engine, can we still have damaged the pump then?

Almost certainly. Torque converter should be fitted to the gearbox to the correct depth from the bell housing face, and then the engine offered up to it. From a recent post of mine:

To fit the TC I didn't use anything other than my hands, the handles for sure would make it easier, but not essential by any means... Actually fitting it, I did it a few times to make sure, it has 3 notches as it slides on, no need to line anything up before hand, it's not just the drive you need to line through, but there's 2 sets of splines as well, IIRC.

Basically, slot it on as square as possible, rotate slowly with a small amount of force pushing it home, eventually it will fine it's home and slide onto the first notch, repeat, and it will find it's second, and then the third. At this point measure the distance. then quadruple check everything. I would suggest as you will be man handling the box back into it's home, rig something to make sure once you arte happy with the position, it won't slip forward upon installation, a ratchet strap and some wood would probably do it OK.

But as you have fitted it the other way around, it's probably new pump time.

Pump replacement isn't difficult. The basic sequence is:

• Drain oil
  • Stand box vertical
  • Unbolt the bellhousing
  • Lift end plate & pump assembly from casing
  • Check for any other damage
  • Fit new end plate & pump assembly
  • etc
  • Fit torque converter to box before installing to engine

The pump from the 3.5 RRC should be the same and hence work correctly. Would be worth taking the pump of the 3.5 box first so that you know what is inside before attacking your autobox.