blanking the egr

Tibout

hi guys i'm going to blank my EGR. i've receive the kit which consist of new gasket, the plate and bolts. i've been reading thread where some people had remove the egr valve itself and the intake manifold hose was replace as well. I have'nt recieved any hose the kit was only like 5 pound. so am i suppose to just put the plate inbetween the valve where it connect to the exhaust and leave all the hose and pipe as it is? is that the way i should be doing it?

any advice are more than wellcome

thanks a lot

thierry

Thierry - this is from an older post:

There are basically two bits to blank off, the EGR valve on the exhaust manifold and the pipe where it feeds in to the intake just before the inlet manifold. The best (neatest) solution to the latter part is to buy a non EGR top intercooler hose but the other way is to crimp the little intake pipe flat in a vice, fold it over and solder it or braze it shut (you probably don't even have to do this last bit a crimp may well be fine). As for the valve - well you can either take it off completely (2 screws - sometimes Allen headed ones - which will usually put up a fight) and fit the blanking plate as fitted to non EGR vehicles.

so guy if i've got this right:

1:i ca either put the plate between the exhaust and the EGR valve and and leave evrything as it is that will give the same result?

2:remove the EGR valve completely crim the small metal hose which goes from the valve to the intake hose and tuck the electrical connection away and just blank the vacumm hose with a screw or something similar?

Does this makes any sense to you guys?

thanks thierry

so guy if i've got this right:

1:i ca either put the plate between the exhaust and the EGR valve and and leave evrything as it is that will give the same result?

2:remove the EGR valve completely crim the small metal hose which goes from the valve to the intake hose and tuck the electrical connection away and just blank the vacumm hose with a screw or something similar?

Does this makes any sense to you guys?

thanks thierry

Yes but it's usually best to fit a new intake hose complete.

I'd remove the EGR from the manifold and fit the blanking plate.

Remove and seal the vaccum pipe.

Buy an intercooler pipe without the EGR fittings - they have them on eBay, with the blanking plate, for about £15

My set up is different - my defender is a td5 and my series has a 200tdi with a 300 turbo and no vacuum.

But removing the lot will help the airflow and look a lot neater.

• 3 weeks later...

no it did'nt change anything on mind. i've just kept everything just in case they change the way they test emission for mot/doe. i don't think it's qualify as a modification to the car. it's the same as upgrading the air filter to a K&N. i could be wrong though

thierry

I took my EGR off completly using a kit that included blanking plugs, a plate for the exhaust manifold and a neat metal pipe to bolt on in place of the EGR. Whether EGR is faultly or not I decided to ditch it (kept as you say just in case mot changes)

If you look at the EGR valve which is likely filthy, gummy and nasty ir restricts the air intake pipe by a huge amount! A diesel performance is hindered by restricted airflow so it seemed best to open up the intake and allow it to breathe.

My TD5 subsequently is a lot peppier (for definite!) and better still it has increased fuel consumption from 26-28mpg to 28-30mpg. Better on lots of long runs. I did it a year ago and even in cold winter, short runs it never fell below 27mpg this year, it was lots less last year!

• 1 month later...

I managed to make the change on my 300 Tdi last weekend and I'm not convinced that it's made any improvement at all. In fact, it may actually be slightly worse :-(

As far as I could see the EGR valve was closed when I took it off and while the intercooler hose did have some muck in it, it didn't look too bad.

Is there anything I could have done wrong? The blanking plate seems fine and there's no blowing of the exhaust. The intercooler hose looks fine, the original hose was partly metal so would have retained it's shape, is there anyway it could be partially closing? It looks a fairly substantial hose to me.

What do people do with the EGR ECU? I just left it alone and disconnected the plug from the EGR and covered the connector with a small plastic bag to keep it dry.