Insurance / sorn

steve b

I would HOPE that if this occured, then you would be given the chance to supply a copy of your updated cover note to prove your innocense!!

When a car is sold the insurance will go from the old owner to the new owner simultaneously, even if the system isn't updated the car will still show up as insured, though not in the right name, so it shouldn't be stopped. It will only get messy if there is a claim before the database is updated.

How will it work for dealers? Do they SORN their stock? Do they have to insure any stock that is still taxed? Will the new owner have to insure the vehicle a few days ahead or does the whole system work in realtime?

The more you think about it the worse it gets, all for a change that will make hardly any practical difference.

As bfar as i'm aware, when you sell a car to a dealer, you fill in a slip on the V5, to tell them you sold it to a dealer, the dealer has 'trade' insurance to cover their stock, not done via reg numbers, so effectively when you test drive one of their cars, we already run the risk of being stopped as it wouldn;t show up as insured, however, the dealer would (or should) be able to show trade insurance for any vehicle!

there are as you say, far too many flaws in the system, unless lots changes it'll just turn into a potential nightmare.....

and, as previously said, it still won;t stop the scally's driviing uninsured, or taxed, or even registered in thier name!

Speculation, Speculation, Speculation........

I'd be pretty sure that many of the points raised as issues (being stopped just after buying a car, how dealers operate etc) will be covered by the legislation, but that as we haven't seen the actual proposed regs we can't yet know.

Any press releases or other information that has been released will of it's nature be pretty general and won't get into the nitty gritty about the bits of the regs that will only affect small parts of the public.

Let's therefore hold off point out 'Flaws in the system' until we know the actual details of the system, not press releases, heresay and conjecture....

By the way, we're all doomed, doomed I tell you :lol:

Speculation, Speculation, Speculation........

Part of living in a democracy is right to rant at other like-minded people on the internet at things the government purports to do ‘for our own good’, if you don’t like it, move to <insert name of pariah state> ;-)

Also, it’s not speculation, Discoron has an email from a credible source at the DVLA laying out the policy, and the ‘you and yours’ interview available in iPlayer with the minister concerned. Though I will agree that before those two sources were linked, this thread was a little short on facts, and I may be as guilty of this as others.

As for the way traders work; last time I test-drove a motor at a dealer he affixed a trade plate to the car. One assumes this will be the way forward.

Also, as has previously been stated, if your vehicle’s reg-plate is not showing as insured on the MID database you will get pulled over. This is already the case and has been for a while. The officer should then phone your insurance company in order to establish whether or not you’re covered. You can see this on numerous ‘cop’ programs shown on television (just be wary of old repeats on ‘Dave’!) - and from what I read there will nothing to change here.

Basically, the biggest issue I see from a practical point of view (assuming one is a normally law-abiding citizen) is before you drive someone else’s car (using your fully-comp policy, which you’ve checked covers you to do so) make sure they have insurance, by running their vehicle’s reg plate through www.askmid.com – that way you won’t attract the attention of the law…Also not driving it like you stole it usually helps…

I stand by my assertion though that whether or not we have all the finer details, this legislation is a revenue-raiser which will do 3/8s of sweet FA to counteract the problem it purports to solve. The police already have all the powers they need to remove an uninsured driver from the road. But it’s the tax-less, MOT-less, uninsured-less, not-even-registered scum they struggle with. Also, this will make it easier for the lazier officers in the constabulary to target the softer targets (get their detections up) rather than concentrate their efforts on the aforementioned pond-life.

Also, I’m slightly irked that the onus is now on you to ensure the accuracy of a record held on a database that’s run by a government department in partnership with the insurance industry! Just who does one turn to in the case of a complaint? The data protection commissioner? Just keep repeating the mantra ‘it’s for your own good’…

you and yours’ interview available in iPlayer with the minister concerned. Though I will agree that before those two sources were linked, this thread was a little short on facts

In fairness the "You and Yours" link was mentioned in post #4

Also not driving it like you stole it usually helps… = spoilsport :o

I agree that any change that results in an onus on the owner to check the database is a retrograde step, especially as you are charged to check your own details (Went to have a look last night).

Whilst I have no objection to people “having a rant” on the internet, there is a risk that what is presented in an argument gets relied on as fact by other people, whether this was ever the original intention. This seems to me to be worse when the complete facts aren't available.

There have been a few useful parts here- the cross post from the vintage forum and the Direct Gov link in particular, which do outline the basics. To date, the legislation does not appear to have been published http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ and certainly not reproduced or linked here, therefore any discussion about the finer details remains speculation.

From Direct Gov:

“Latest public estimates are that around 1.5 million of all UK motorists drive uninsured. These drivers cost the UK about £500 million annually, which adds up to an average cost of an extra £30 per car insurance policy.”

This is to me a worryingly high cost to us all, and I support efforts to reduce it. I will be happy if this new legislation is successfull, so am prepared to give it a chance.