1.2 Transfer gears

To be honest, it's far more hassle and you're changing so much of the contents of the box that you're better off putting your good one complete on the shelf (or selling it) and just buying a good 1.2 box 2nd hand. They are very reliable beasties, and barring the odd oil leak or horrendous abuse they don't really go wrong. There are tonnes of 1.2 boxes from rusty RR & Discos out there to be had for not much.

Point I'm trying to make is that I know my 'box, it has new flanges and new seals and doesn't leak.

This 1.2 I have picked up (along with any box) I have no clue about, so I'd much rather swap the input gear and intermediate shaft (if it's possible) than mess about swapping boxes to find this one is not upto scratch.

I'm in the middle of swapping my 1.67 to 1.4 - it's more work than it appears

On paper, you 'just' need to swap the intermediate cluster and the high range output gear. However in practice you will end up pretty much rebuilding the box because:

o the high range output gear is on the far side of the diff assembly, so the whole lot has to come out i.e. front output housing / hi-lo selector assembly / diff lock all off

o it's hard getting the high range gear off the shaft without the special tools - and to set the preload once it's all back together

o the preload on the intermediate shaft is even worse (collapsible spacer thingy)

o the new intermediate gear assembly will come w/o bearings so factor that in (either swapping the ones from the old box or fitting new)

o if you also do the crossdrilled input gear you will need a selection of shims available for setting the endfloat on that too

Pretty much the only things that don't *have* to come apart are the diff itself, the output flanges/bearings, and the rear housing (although technically you *should* remove and reshim the rear carrier bearing to set the preload with the new output gear).

The kit from Ashcrofts is good and Ian A. has been very helpful but if I lived on your side of the pond there is no question I would swap the whole box or at least let Ashcrofts do the ratio u/g install

John H.

--