Hardtop Roof Vent

So I've gotten a hard top and for whatever reason, I guess LR stopped fitting vents at the back of the roof to let the air out. When driving with the front vents open, the air can not flow through the vehicle. It is a PITA for people in the back as it gets quite hot. How is the air supposed to get out??

Anyway, I've been wanting to fit some of these, but they don't seem to show up as separate items in the parts catalog, so it quite hard to figure out what to order. Anybody have an idea for a part number? Being out in the colonies it is hard enough to find strange bits like this.

Alternatively, could someone rip some off from a wreckers and mail them to me. :lol:

2 x STC1346 Vent air extractor To (V) FA 441847 [look in the roof pages]---- no longer fitted from 1990 model year as they could/did allow water to be sucked in, my '89 110 had them until the roof was changed, it always had water in the inner gutter, since these vents have gone, I don't have water inside any more.

Really. This came to the front yesterday. 6 hours at highway speeds in 30 C weather. If I closed the windows, you could feel the pressure rise and the flow through the vents dropped to about a third of what it was. If you cracked the windows, you would just about get sucked out through them as the air flow went back up.

It is unbelievable that a new Defender could be built with only ways for air to get in and not out. It must never get hot or cold over there in the UK... :P

So anyway, back to a solution... So the genuine vents are not the best?? Maybe I'll look for something move local, maybe a custom built thing. I was thinking it would be nice to be able to close them off in the winter.

Maybe I should ask on the African section. They see the sun once in a while. ;)

Guest diesel_jim

Maybe try and graft in the roof vents that the series 3 station wagons had? kind of "oval" shaped, the 109" had 4 of them IIRC, they "popped" up, hinged on one edge (a bit like the defender sunroof, albiet mucg smaller! about 6" x 3"

2 x STC1346 Vent air extractor To (V) FA 441847 [look in the roof pages]---- no longer fitted from 1990 model year as they could/did allow water to be sucked in, my '89 110 had them until the roof was changed, it always had water in the inner gutter, since these vents have gone, I don't have water inside any more.

Those rear roof vents were also used in the top rear sides of Maestro vans, there should be plenty of them in scrappies :lol:

Paul.

Thanks guys, I'll see what I can drag up. The wreckers over here don't quite have Maestros and 109s lying around. I may just get some of the genuine ones and be done with it. I think I'll stop by a few RV (caravan) shops and see if they have any thoughts.

Thanks guys, I'll see what I can drag up. The wreckers over here don't quite have Maestros and 109s lying around. I may just get some of the genuine ones and be done with it. I think I'll stop by a few RV (caravan) shops and see if they have any thoughts.

If you're not too worried about the vents being genuine Land Rover (they're not that good, anyway!), then have you thought about making your own or adapting something from a DIY store or a boat chandlers.

Some of these look useful, they aren't that expensive and they're available online -

Sea-Screw Marine Hardware - Stainless Steel Louvres

They also sell lots of other 'Land Rover Useful' bits.

Paul.

Most landies i've seen aren't that airtight anyway, especially since everyone seems to get the rain coming in ! There is usually enough seepage round the door seals/ or at bottom of door to overcome the heater blower fan....There is away to make the fan better but I daren't not mention it on here in case i get accused of commercial solicitation - see Int forum! If you have the windscreen vents open, just open the window an inch to allow the air to flow...

Well, I have made mine fairly air tight. I like being warm in the winter. You see we need to deal with -40 to +35 C.

Yes, opening the windows lets the air out, but then nothing flows to the back. The kids and dog die from the heat. Plus it is noisy as h$$l with the windows open.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! wat about those rotating circular ones that gas board vans and dog handlers vans have on the roof , they even spin when the truck is stationary in the breeze, so keeping your truck vented all the time with the windows shut. try caravan acc. shop or truck shop!

the temp extremes there just blow me away.

Damn near as hot as here in Summer and five times colder in winter.

........and here I was shivering and wingeing my ar$e off in -6* this morning :lol:

• 1 month later...
the temp extremes there just blow me away.

Damn near as hot as here in Summer and five times colder in winter.

........and here I was shivering and wingeing my ar$e off in -6* this morning :lol:

i sorted out some rear vents the other weekend. i bought a big aluminium door vent like the stainless ones posted above for a few quid and cut it up to fit the space. i dont know if they'll let in water like the land rover ones, but they're easy to keep an eye on. they work pretty well and mean my car heats up now and i can also get cold air blowing from the vents for the first time as well. the latter isn't too well tested yet as we dont tend to get blistering temperatures here and i've got sliding front windows so tend to drive with my arm out the window unless at motorway speeds.

some tutu fabric keeps bugs out and i'm sure you could sort out means of closing them easily enough, although given they help in both hot and cold conditions there hasn't been any need. maybe when stopped it would be nice to shut them off i suppose.

gallery_865_154_373041.jpg

gallery_865_154_112021.jpg

gallery_865_154_2024.jpg