a quick one! 10spline 24spline question

dirtyninety

Answers below, not as simple as you ask !

Just a quick question, will 24spline shafts and diff fit in a 1993 10spline disc braked axle?

Yes, but the lengths of the shafts are different, 24 spline shafts are "Metric" axle type, this means that to fit these sahfts to a

early 10 spline imperial axle you need to also change the stubs and hubs to match. Thus a 10 spline shaft is longer because the

hubs are "wide Hubs" and the 24 spline are Metric and "Narrow hubs and stubs", if you fit a 10 spline to a metric axle the shafts will appear

to be too long, a Metric shaft will fit (or so it seems) a imperial axle, but actaully you will only have drive on say 1/4 inch and not 1+" :(

Also the bolts that go through the drive members to the hubs are both different in length and also different in stylee (metric is erm well metric

and imperial is UNF, AND the PCD is different on the 2 x drive members

Peeps often call casings "Imperial" or "Metric" which is sort of true but wrong - IMERIAL casings are more around front RR types, which

have 6 bolts for the swivel and "Metric" casings have 7, but then RR messed things around with later "Metric" casings rear having a

1 piece A Frame mounting and early Metric - which peeps often call imperial or eraly metric having 3 piece welded A Frame mounts.

Then there are the late late metric casings which have the anti roll bar fitments etc etc and then LR opened a cupboard found gawd

knowswhat and used them up, I have seen 1 owner from new unmolested EFI (should be metric) with a 6 bolt front axle :ph34r: etc

etc oh and on 90s early "Imperial Fronts" have narrow Jockey stick units and Later "Metric" casing have wide RR late tye jockey sticks,

and yes all are interchangeable onto a chassis with the right bits - ie axle + jockey sticks + rubbers + washer and nuts etc :blink:

ohy and the bolts that hold the stubs to the casings are the same imperial or metric, and not that doesn;t make sesne either - but its

a LR so not supposed to :D hence why you can mess about axle wise and end up in a real mess, even seen an axle with a narrow hub /

stub one side and wide on the other :rofl:

I my humble a "Axle" is imperial if it has wide hubs with 987 type shafts with UNF Bolts and no oil seal shafts, and Metric if it

has narrow hubs and 953 oil type shafts, and there are varinats of the metric axle type.

:)

And, do old style 3 door RRC 10 spline shafts and diff fit in later metric 1992 drum braked axles?

Even odder is Yes, but not a staright fit, as per above even more jiggling to get them to fit properly, my advice is

not to, as you then have a mess n a half remembering what bits you have in the bitza axle, I know this as I did it

once and vowed never again !

and breathe out :)

HTH

Nige

Right, So the actual axle casings on a 1993 200tdi disco and a later model 300tdi 24spline disco are the same casing, but have different hubs stubs half shafts and diffs..

I think ill just buy the full axles instead of being lazy and just swapping internals :D

cheers Ralph cheers Nige!!

To add to confusion I have had a discovery (K reg) that had slim end caps held on with m10 bolts (17mm head) that were 10 spline.

I had always assumed slim end caps were 24 spline.

Mushroom or Thick end caps 10 spline.

My rear axle is a old axle casing with new axle casing stubs and hubs to get the right length to suit my strengthened half shafts.

I heard of an orange supplier years ago selling someone a arb and shafts only for the customer to ruin the diff and shafts within days, on inspection the shafts were only engaging by about 1/4" or so.

If it's a '93 model with ABS/thin mushrooms as you put it it should be the same as the 24 spline axle. Some late 200 series escaped with 24 spline internals, but not many.

You can mix and match but as said above it can become a minefield. To say that the ninety and one ten were supposed to be heavily RR based there are a huge number of different parts.

To make it more confusing for some reason my disco 1994 has the left hand rear shaft with a slim newer type shaft, and the short shaft is a imperial mushroom headed shaft so who know who built it like that, as it wasn't me!

Jon

• 3 weeks later...

If it's a '93 model with ABS/thin mushrooms as you put it it should be the same as the 24 spline axle. Some late 200 series escaped with 24 spline internals, but not many.

You can mix and match but as said above it can become a minefield. To say that the ninety and one ten were supposed to be heavily RR based there are a huge number of different parts.

Just a quick update on this thread, upon inspection of my axles which i presumed were 10spine (from a 1993 200tdi disco) They're actually 24 spline internals!