brake seal retainers - fitting woes

lansalot

OK, so I read Les' excellent seal-renovation guide in the Tech archive, and very useful it was too. Then found I don't have a suitable-sized socket to get the seal retainer in. Already wrecked one trying it in a vice.

Any other suggestions please folks ?

And should I fit the piston last? It should make the seal a bit more flexible come fitting-time, yeah ?

Cheers

A

I 'm assuming you mean the pesky steel retainer rings to hold the caliper piston seals in? If so, I fitted the seal to the groove in the caliper, then pushed the piston into the seal, turning and wriggling the piston gently, but not all the way in (smear it all with brake fluid first). Then, fitted the dust seal and the retainer loosely over the piston. To get the retainer in, I pushed down gently at different places on the circumference of piston & retainer with a small G cramp round the caliper - use the fixed side against the piston & retainer. Once you have the retainer started all round(in one case I had to just ease it inwards into its starting place slightly with a small screwdriver) you can push the retainer, seal & piston in with the G cramp, working round the circumference a bit at a time, or all at once pressing with the cramp with a large thick washer. It's getting it started that's the swine, and it has to end up even. Gently does it - you can't rush it. I understand some makes fit better than others too.

Nigel

Thanks Nigel, yeah that's the rings. I've ruined 3 retainers now so am gonna have to hit the suppliers up on Monday.. Grrr...

Tried it with a big piece of flat steel over the whole thing, but it just crumpled. It honestly feels like it's just oversized or something.

Annoying, was getting almost-quite-pleased with myself at progress. The little things take the most time, eh ? Pushing the edges in with a screwdriver, I tried that too... that was the demise of retainer #2... It also felt like it was springing-back on the seal. How on earth does this have to be so difficult? Grrrr

Any other hot-tips folks ? At the moment, it's all bagged up for a visit to a tame mechanic....

Cheers

A

Thanks Nigel, yeah that's the rings. I've ruined 3 retainers now so am gonna have to hit the suppliers up on Monday.. Grrr...

Tried it with a big piece of flat steel over the whole thing, but it just crumpled. It honestly feels like it's just oversized or something.

Annoying, was getting almost-quite-pleased with myself at progress. The little things take the most time, eh ? Pushing the edges in with a screwdriver, I tried that too... that was the demise of retainer #2... It also felt like it was springing-back on the seal. How on earth does this have to be so difficult? Grrrr

Any other hot-tips folks ? At the moment, it's all bagged up for a visit to a tame mechanic....

Cheers

A

I have 6 new 52mm outside diameter rings here, just PM your postal address if they would be useful, can post tomorrow morning.

post-20-0-88888000-1295720463_thumb.jpg

I 'm assuming you mean the pesky steel retainer rings to hold the caliper piston seals in? If so, I fitted the seal to the groove in the caliper, then pushed the piston into the seal, turning and wriggling the piston gently, but not all the way in (smear it all with brake fluid first). Then, fitted the dust seal and the retainer loosely over the piston. To get the retainer in, I pushed down gently at different places on the circumference of piston & retainer with a small G cramp round the caliper - use the fixed side against the piston & retainer. Once you have the retainer started all round(in one case I had to just ease it inwards into its starting place slightly with a small screwdriver) you can push the retainer, seal & piston in with the G cramp, working round the circumference a bit at a time, or all at once pressing with the cramp with a large thick washer. It's getting it started that's the swine, and it has to end up even. Gently does it - you can't rush it. I understand some makes fit better than others too.

Nigel

did this last week and the above technique worked perfectly, but I used a perfectly flat piece of 1/4 tool steel between the piston and g-cramp that covered the piston and retainer. Every one went in true and quickly. I buggered up the first 3 trying to work it in around the edges. Helps if you hold the calliper in a vice.

I did both of my rear calipers (like yours, early RRC) without scrapping any, in fact they were done at the kitchen table by hand. I did, however, use Lockheed seal kits because of previous posts which had indicated many problems using pattern seal kits with duff retaining rings. Are you using good quality seal kits ?

HTH

Mo

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm. Good suggestion there, thanks for that. Going to take it into the dining room and have it with the dremel I think...

Think the part kits I got are... umm... Britpart...

Sorry but the last word says it all. I bought a full set of blue-box seals for both front calipers on my 90 a couple of years ago. Bust every one without fitting any. I then bought LR genuine, and they went in a treat using socket method.

This started my dislike of blue boxes and reluctance to buy from those who supply them. It does not comfort me that I can get an extended warranty on their bits, if I cannot fit them in the first place !

Regards - perhaps - a - little - unhelpfully

Richard

As a wee update, I went round the caliper with a dremel and a wee sanding disc. Enough surface rust came away where those retainers go to allow them to fit. I had just used a wire-brush-point on the drill before, but there was some carp still lurking. Dremel got shot of it - plus, I was able to do the job in the warm at the dining table. Major result there....

Job done. Woohoo!!!

seal1f.jpg