Multiple issues from a newbie.

X1yyX

Ok, so I'm new to this forum and new to Rang Rovers. I had the opportunity to get a Range Rover a few months back. It is a 1989 with the 3.9l gasoline engine (country) if that matters. So I'm not a completely uneducated mechanic, I have an Associates degree in automotive, but I've quickly discovered that Land Rovers are a completely different animal. I have never worked on a Range Rover before and am learning they I have a lot to learn. The initial problems were the from windshield wipers weren't working. So I tore the front dash apart to test the motor and it seems to be functioning correctly. I then discovered there are no less than 100 relays hidden all over the Range Rover. My first question is how on earth do I know what relay goes to what. I've gotten the Haynes manual for it, but that isn't much help on electrical testing. I've heard that Range Rovers have problems with the relays, is that true? The second problems is it won't start anymore. The starter was going out. Often times when I parked it I would have to open the hood and knock on the starter to get it to engage. Well, after sitting for a few months it will crank but not start. (I know I have to replace the starter, but any guesses as to why it won't fire up now?) It appears to be getting fuel, spark, and air. It ran fine before it sat for a few months. I would really like to get this running again, and I hate to see it slowly rotting away and dieing in my driveway. Any additional tips or tricks not even related to my questions would be greatly appreciated as well.

Welcome to the forum :) I'm not a range-rover owner so can't really help you with all the relays etc, but I am sure someone will be along shortly to point you in the right direction.

First step I would do is try to find some proper Land-rover documentation, the Haynes manuals are good for the most (even though people slate them), but the LR stuff is sometimes better. Try googling for the RAVE manual.

Have fun! :D

Unsure on your elec issues, might just be a fuse gone, worth a try.

as for not starting, V8 like very good ignition componants, so make sure all are clean and working well, if in doubt change them. (plugs, leads, dizzy cap, Rotor arm, Coil) check and make sure everything is clean and moisture free.

best bet is take out each plug spray with WD40 and scrub with a toothbrush, squirt of WD40 in the lead, do the same inside the dizzy cap making sure its clean with good connections.

If you have spark and fuel then you should be ok. But as said they like very good ignition componants

Welcome to the forum :) I'm not a range-rover owner so can't really help you with all the relays etc, but I am sure someone will be along shortly to point you in the right direction.

First step I would do is try to find some proper Land-rover documentation, the Haynes manuals are good for the most (even though people slate them), but the LR stuff is sometimes better. Try googling for the RAVE manual.

Have fun! :D

Thanks for the welcome. I'll look up the RAVE manual and see if i can get a hold of one of them.

Unsure on your elec issues, might just be a fuse gone, worth a try.

as for not starting, V8 like very good ignition componants, so make sure all are clean and working well, if in doubt change them. (plugs, leads, dizzy cap, Rotor arm, Coil) check and make sure everything is clean and moisture free.

best bet is take out each plug spray with WD40 and scrub with a toothbrush, squirt of WD40 in the lead, do the same inside the dizzy cap making sure its clean with good connections.

If you have spark and fuel then you should be ok. But as said they like very good ignition componants

I've checked all the fuses I can find on it. No luck there. I'll double check the ignition components. I went over them once and didn't see any obvious flaws. I pulled all the plugs and they looked alright, but i EASILY could have missed something. Are they known to eat up ignition coils? I'll put a timing light on cylinder one and crank it to make doubly sure I am getting spark. Thanks for the info and assistance.

Don't use a non-genuine, using non-gen is a bit like a lottery, but with electricity involved, and the Prince of Darkness pops out from under the bonnet to stab you every now and then just to make you hate your car more.

For relays, study the haynes, or better still, get RAVE. Isn't the windscreen motor on the outside? Sorry, never really looked, just assumed it was under the scuttle :)

It sounds like you may have flooded the engine badly, which changing th eplugs out for NGK BPR6ES may cure, or may not :rolleyes: There's full diagnostics for the Hotwire injection system in the tech archive ;)

Welcome to the forum :)

RAVE manuals are linked from this very forum:

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=55181

Since you said "gasoline" I'll assume you're in the states (hint, fill in your profile so people can help you).

If it's a 3.9 then it's Lucas "Hotwire" type EFI, a pretty basic system (or if you're american, amazingly advanced :P ) and prone to a few common weaknesses none of which are the end of the universe.

V8's have carp ignition systems - the spark is weak, the ignition amps fail, and the engine is fussy. As has been said, GENUINE ignition components are the only sure-fire way of making it run right for any length of time. V8's are fussy about plugs too (as mentioned) and fouled plugs (from unsuccessful starting attempts) can easily stop it dead.

Sounds like your starter is knackered, you can just change the solenoid on some types (they are about £15) if it's spinning then the big bit is working OK :P unfortunately your car is a few years too young to have a starting handle, and assuming it's an auto box you are out of luck on the tow-start option.

The common faults (V8 no-starts, electrical gremlins, etc.) have all been done to death on this forum, so having a read back / search should yeild plenty of info. Between that and the RAVE manuals you should be able to work most of it out - there are of course the things that are just that way because it's a Land Rover, but just ask when you come across them ;)

I'll post the EFI wiring to save hitting the search button:

lucas_efi_1988_1989.jpg

Thanks to everyone who gave suggestions. Ya... sorry I am from the States, don't hold that against me, it's not my fault. I'll try to upgrade/replace some of those parts and try the ideas and i'll let you know if i have any luck. It might be a little while, i've got to wait for a little bit of extra $$$.

As for the wiper motor, i just got to the wiring through the front side, the motor is on the outside, I just didn't want to dismantle the front.

Thanks again everyone.

WOW... this might sound stupid but I've never heard of RAVE manuals before, but I checked out that link and downloaded some of them, they blow the Haynes and Chiltons manuals out of the water. Thanks again for the info.

I don't know how much you know about the V8 but it's a Buick 215 tarted up, so that may help you source parts over there as various derivatives were made to 2008. A friend of mine actually bought a high-power racing starter from the states for his RV8 because it was cheaper. I've no idea how a bling starter makes you go faster, but he seemed pleased enough with it :lol:

If you're not on Pirate4x4, I'd suggest joining up as there are some good guys on there for Rover bits who should be more local than most of the people we know :P

There should also be a fault-finding manual for Hotwire EFI in the technical archive, although the flapper one is worth a read too as the basics are the same and I remember it being quite detailed.