Making a temperature gauge

elbekko

Since I don't trust the temperature sender at the thermostat in the slightest, nor do I trust the gauge in the dash, I was thinking of using the EGR temperature sender on top of the cylinder head to get some sort of accurate reading. Because for all I know, with its tendency to overheat lately the cylinder head may be banana-shaped by the time the gauge rises...

Now, it seems to be pretty hard to find any actual data on what resistance values this sensor (ERC2081) has at what temperatures. I did find this interesting post, but that topic confuses me a bit (it may be because of the rather late hour :lol: ) and I'm not sure that's actually related to that sensor.

I was thinking of using a PIC or something that drives a little display I have laying about (might as well use it, right?). I'm sure I can get a friend of mine that's studying to be an electrical engineer to figure out the circuit needed to be able to actually read the resistance of the sensor (from what I've found, it goes a bit over my head sadly).

There are a few issues round this:

- Most automotive sensors aren't very accurate anyway, the 2-wire types used for ECU's are better but still mostly ballpark. The EGR one is unlikely to be very good.

- Just buying a VDO gauge & sender is about as accurate as it's worth getting.

- You don't need a PIC, or an arduino. An LM3914 would probably do it, or if you want a digital display then buy an LCD panel meter from eBay china and use the appropriate series resistor.

- If you want better accuracy, the LM35 is a useful device although you'll get interference in a car, might be better in a TDi but on the V8 there's a lot of noise from the ignition system.

As I said, because I already have all the bits to do this and I'm a difficult person :lol:

Managed to find the right datasheet, had to get the part number from the picture on Turner's site, as the sensor I have doesn't seem to have any writing on it :unsure:

It appears to be the Bosch 0 280 130 036. Strangely listed as an air temperature sensor, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Will be picking up the PIC with analog input and my programmer at a friend's place tomorrow, and made a basic circuit in Tina to test the principle - seems to be fine :D

post-18506-0-79139700-1296417151_thumb.jpg