will removing battery damage alternator?

i've been told by 3 people who i think should know that no damage would occur to the alternator in the time it would take to swap batteries while the engine is running. i've also spoken to some who assure me it will knacker the alternator as the charge isn't going anywhere. everyone agrees that having no battery attached for more than a couple of minutes would be a bad idea. anyone know for sure what the actual risks are and what science backs it up?

errrrrr, ok. so that's the science bit covered! i'm reading that as being not such a great thing for modern engines with nasty little computer brains, but not too damaging to a clunky old 300tdi? or am i just not taking the hint that a 'load dump' has the same painful results on man and machine......? =@

I certainly wouldn't recommend doing it: any electronics (ECUs, immobilizers, radios) that are receiving power run the risk of getting "spiked". There are electronics in places-you-do-not-expect: intermittent-wipe timer, the relay that cuts your heated-rear-window after it's been on for a while.

The alternator itself will also be at-risk.

If you really *must* do it, I'd suggest that you turn on some significant electrical loads (headlights, HRW, heater-blower) to help absorb the more traumatic of the electrical spikes.

Can you not connect a slave battery whilst you're swapping the battery...... on a 300, the main power goes straight from the battery to the back of the starter, and the earth, to earth, hows about opening the bonnet, having another battery sat somewhere with jump leads on it, and then swapping the one under the seat, but to be honest, i'm puzzled as to why you would need to swap the battery with the engine running, unless you have some sort of radio system that you don;t have a code for or similar...??????????

I also am dying to know why you want to carry out the battery change with the engine running, to what purpose?

An FIA battery master-switch has a double pair of contacts on the rear to ensure that while the engine is spinning down and the battery is isolated from the alternator there is a ballast resistor in circuit to take the momentary discharge from the alternator. That is only for a second or two, I certainly wouldn't want to risk my alternator for a deliberate act like removing one battery and replacing it with another.

ok ok ok! i wont do it i promise! thanks for the info, all i really helps to have science to back up advise. as for why? well i'm currently off and about the uk with the missus and baby visiting old mates in our old merc camper and the landy. the van's got a split charge system but all our batteries for power are past their best. half the time i end up rotating the landy battery with the one we use for tv, lights etc. a few times the battery i want to switch to doesn't have the umph to start the landy, hence i wondered if i could switch on the go. you see? the whole problem would be avoided by buying new batteries, but that'll have to wait til i start back at work again. until then it'll have to be a 20 minute top up with jump leads before the switch. ho hum. keeps me busy i suppose.....