Lack of power???

I have owned my ex-mod 1986 '90 (with a 200TDI) for about 7 months now. The only other Defenders I have driven (all 200TDI's) have been work vehicles which have been fairly shot. I was driving behind another 90 the other day and it seemed to have way more power on accelerating and I was struggling to keep up with it (I am assuming it was a 200tdi because of its registration). Mine sits very comfy at 50mph, you can feel it at 60, and it doesn't seem to want to do much over 70, I recon it could...but I just don't push it. Getting it up to speed also seems to take a while. I gave it a full service a while back, and I have seen in the rocker box, no gunk, everything as it should be. Does what Im describing about the speed sound right to you guys?

Short of messing and tweaking anything, would any of you recommend (or not) fuel additives to clean it through? And If so what one?

Cheers ;)

It may not have had the original ebgine for its reg date and model.

It could have been tricked up!!!!!

Good point, didn't think of that!

what was the original engine ?

it may have the 1.667 ratio transfer box fitted, which will keep your top speed down compared with a standard 1.410 transfer box fitted vehicle, plus tyre diameter will have an effect.

Afraid that I don't know what the original engine was, the previous owner had it changed. Yep you could be right about the transfer box, military defenders do have different ratio boxes don't they??? And yes my tyres aren't standard, Im on the steel rims, but they are sized 255/65/16, more of a mud tyre then anything else.

Deary me, I really should think before I type!

I think if you had the 1.66 t/box,you would be struggling to get over 50mph in a 200tdi.I inadvisedly fitted one a year or so ago to my 110 and the engine I had at the time was screaming its guts out at this speed.I can only think that what you've got is a 2.5 n/a(which I assume was the original engine as supplied to the MOD),which should be capable of 65/70 mph quite comfortably,but not much more :)

If it has a Disco 200TDI conversion it's quite possible that it was fitted in one lump with a 1.2 ratio transfer box, which means it would accelerate more slowly than a standard 200TDI, if you have larger tires, this may be enough to stop it acclerating any more once you get to 60... I don't suppose you have any idea of engine revs...?

The transfer box ratio is clearly attached to the box normally, with a metal-y sticker, would be worth finding that out before pointing at the engine being the source of your problems.

Unless you know the other truck was also a 200TDi with the same gearing etc. then you're just worrying about nothing. Most LR's of any age have been tinkered with - it's possible the guy in the other truck was thinking "blimey, that chap behind me is going OK for a 2.5N/A!"

Also no fuel additive is going to fix an engine problem. I do find Redex is good stuff for cleaning out your fuel system and whatnot, but it can't wave a spanner.

I think if you had the 1.66 t/box,you would be struggling to get over 50mph in a 200tdi.I inadvisedly fitted one a year or so ago to my 110 and the engine I had at the time was screaming its guts out at this speed.I can only think that what you've got is a 2.5 n/a(which I assume was the original engine as supplied to the MOD),which should be capable of 65/70 mph quite comfortably,but not much more :)

Its a 200tdi from a range rover classic, the guy before me had it fitted. Its definitely not the original engine, and definitely a tdi.

If it has a Disco 200TDI conversion it's quite possible that it was fitted in one lump with a 1.2 ratio transfer box, which means it would accelerate more slowly than a standard 200TDI, if you have larger tires, this may be enough to stop it acclerating any more once you get to 60... I don't suppose you have any idea of engine revs...?

The transfer box ratio is clearly attached to the box normally, with a metal-y sticker, would be worth finding that out before pointing at the engine being the source of your problems.

OK, didn't know that. It goe's past 60mph, up and just past 70, but have to push, it gets bloody loud (but then again has no sound proofing anywhere!). Afraid I don't have a clue about the rev's. I will have a look at the transfer box sticker.

Unless you know the other truck was also a 200TDi with the same gearing etc. then you're just worrying about nothing. Most LR's of any age have been tinkered with - it's possible the guy in the other truck was thinking "blimey, that chap behind me is going OK for a 2.5N/A!"

Also no fuel additive is going to fix an engine problem. I do find Redex is good stuff for cleaning out your fuel system and whatnot, but it can't wave a spanner.

Yeah, as I said Im just assuming that it was a 200tdi going by his registration, and yep I would think that every 90/defender has had something done in its day. I was just really wondering if my acceleration/top-speed sounded about right, give or takeou My post ts more of a query then a problem, as Im more then happy sitting at 50 and feeling comfy, Im not worried about it, I guess I just find it a bit comforting knowing my old 90 is in good health! :)

Thanks for the replys ;)