Rear Shocks

Fitting new Terrafirma rear shocks to the 110.

As can be seen from the pic, each box contains 2 dished washers, 2 bushes and a locknut. However the 110 parts book clearly shows that the shock should be assembled with 4 dished washers - 2 for the bottom mount and 2 for the top. Do i need to buy extra washers or do these shocks fit differently to the stock ones?

Ive also included a (blurry) pic of the rear shock mount showing that they are not the standard ones. They were on the chassis when i got it so dont know what they are.

Phil

post-4644-0-82582900-1297797513_thumb.jpg post-4644-0-43757500-1297797527_thumb.jpg

The washer that go on the top are NOT standard flat washer they have a radius one the inner edges, and one has a larger hole than the other one.

If you use standard flat washers you will snap off the ring on the top of the damper, due to the lack of movement.

You may also have problems with the big bore Terrafirma shocks as they have a larger bush at the top than the retaining washers, so the shock eventually pushes off the bush, causing other problems.

Andy

If you are fitting the big bore shocks you need to chisel the bush cups off the axle otherwise the shock cannot move freely enough and you will shear the lower pin.

If you imagine the washers like a pudding bowl then the bottoms of the bowls should face each other when assembleing them, this applies to both top and bottom bush sets, if you can pick up a terrafirma catalogue it shows you in there.

Interestingly if you purchase the terrafirma self centering steering damper they send you an extra washer to their instructions, the extra washer can be used along with the cone type washer to clamp the spring in place (fit the cone washer as per the instructions then the spring and then the 'top' of the pudding bowl the the spring/cone washer)the other two washers should then be fitted top to top around the rubber bushes/chassis effectivly cupping the bushes.

I realise that the above is all rubbish if you havnt got that steering damper but i thought it may help some people as it took me a while on the phone to terrafirma to sort the problem out. However they may have now updated their insructions rendering me looking a right numpty :rolleyes:

Will

@muddy.

bush cups? you've lost me....

p.s.

i have big bore on front and rear and they seem free enough on the back at the top. The top rubber is actually bigger than the curved washer so even if put on the wrong way it wouldn't catch the actual shock top hoop.

Some rear axles have washers/cups spot welded to the bottom shock absorber mount. They should be removed before fitting most after market shocks as they restrict movement of the pin. In some cases it can result in ripping the top eye off the shock if you leave them on.