Overland vehicle or not... advice needed

Hello people,

After frequenting this forum for probably just over a year now its helped me build this, what I have today:

post-20087-0-26720900-1297844795_thumb.jpg

Now I initially got this vehicle with a grand dream to build it into an Overland type truck that I could take anywhere and do anything in, I wanted it to be a reliable bomb proof truck I could travel in where and when I wanted, like I said with the emphasis on travel and green lane type activities rather than its former existence as a bit of a mud plugger.

My build thread is here My link of whats roughly been done to the truck...

I now have a dilemma... after frequenting the Land rover world for over a year, I now know that a 90 is not the most ideal base for an Overland type vehicle, but never the less there are overland equipped 90's out there...

Before I go spending more money and time on quite custom things like roll cages and roof racks I need to decided if the 90 will fulfil my needs... Now presently it lacks the capacity to hold more than 2 people which isn't the end of the world but does restrict things.

I have a ford focus as my other vehicle but running two cars is expensive, so if i did go for a 110csw then the ford would go too, leaving me with one vehicle.

I've learnt an incredible amount re-building this truck and it like my baby, but I'm at that point now where I have to work out should I break free and get a 110csw or keep my 2 vehicles and continue with an "overland" 90...

I now put it to the infinite wisdom of this forum for guidance.

If anyone has thoughts or advice it would be greatly received!

Mav

In 1955 6 men drove from London to Singapore and back in two SWB Land Rovers. It took them six months and 18.000 miles to reach Singapore.

Their book is worth reading if you fancy "overlanding" in a Land Rover: http://www.amazon.com/First-Overland-London-Singapore-Land-Rover/dp/1904955142

Why should it be less possible today with a 90"? Just sell or give away anything that will not fit inside the vehicle and you will have a better trip anyway.

Only reason I can see for needing a larger vehicle is if you need to have room for a number of armed guards for sections of the route. But even then, the need for space will be limited because it will take place in areas of the world where people will be used to riding in the back of a truck sitting on a piece of luggage.

If I may, I will add my 2 pence.

I started off with a new Puma 90, thought I should pimp it and make a overland vehicle, it was brilliant and I do miss it.

However the main reason I changed to a 110 is because I then wanted to build a vehicle that essentially would be "better for my needs", but the main tipping pint was I wanted a non electronic engine.

So I built a 110 using a 1989 110 as a donor vehicle, my reasoning was space in the back and on the roof, yep, I had a full length rack on the 90, but a full length rack on a 110 is, well, just bigger. (I was thinking more about the use for my 110, (and that was more then an overland truck for a while), I am glad I made the switch as I know the vehicle inside out, and have no issues with dealing with any issues that may arise.

The 90 was wonderful, but I do prefer the space in my 110, not because of the mag's, not because of some bloke said it was better on some forum, it just works better for me...

It's also good for standing on to get a good shot of the slope on our hill

post-4517-0-57619600-1297981480_thumb.jpg

post-4517-0-79645500-1297981643_thumb.jpg

People go overland in Citroen 2CV's, as has been said you don't *need* X Y Z to do anything really. Down to what you want, and no-one else can tell you that ;)

couldn't agree more, I went to Mongolia in a Fiat Punto,basic kit, one spare jerry can and a socket set, not a single punture and no major break downs, going back this year, mind you I'll be taking my 300tdi, just in case... can't wait!

we'll soon see if the 110 is the way to go..........2 adults no roof tent and sleeping inside.

My 110 is curretly at £18705.05p (last 2 weeks purchases withstanding) and we are leaving in just over a week for the shakedown. Can't afford a visa for China, like overland with kids (how did they afford that) so the current plan is south america first. At least thats this weeks plan. Leaving in October if we get the paperwork sorted. Failing that its up for sale and we're doing it on plane, train and automobile. Either way we're off on the trip with a rather unreasonable budget thats currently being stretched.

I could see a 90 cutting the mustard with a roof tent and mimilist living. To be honest no body packs 110's correct anyhow and they leave huge areas of dead space. If you pack your 90 to the roof you'll fair no worse than most overlanders. Weight permitting.

Anyhow my web site is planned to to be up and running eventually so you'll see how we get on. Not sure if we'll get a "spot" like overland with kids but we'll get something.

we'll soon see if the 110 is the way to go..........2 adults no roof tent and sleeping inside.

My 110 is curretly at £18705.05p (last 2 weeks purchases withstanding) and we are leaving in just over a week for the shakedown. Can't afford a visa for China, like overland with kids (how did they afford that) so the current plan is south america first. At least thats this weeks plan. Leaving in October if we get the paperwork sorted. Failing that its up for sale and we're doing it on plane, train and automobile. Either way we're off on the trip with a rather unreasonable budget thats currently being stretched.

I could see a 90 cutting the mustard with a roof tent and mimilist living. To be honest no body packs 110's correct anyhow and they leave huge areas of dead space. If you pack your 90 to the roof you'll fair no worse than most overlanders. Weight permitting.

Anyhow my web site is planned to to be up and running eventually so you'll see how we get on. Not sure if we'll get a "spot" like overland with kids but we'll get something.

Morning Neill,

Sounds like were in the same boat! We are leaving our trip till 2013 in order to save and clear a little debt. We will take our 90 and sankey trailer across central Asia, Mongolia and onto Siberia before shiping out to Aus. :)

OWK split the China cost with IIRC 3 other parties and it was something they really wanted to do.

G

In 1955 6 men drove from London to Singapore and back in two SWB Land Rovers. It took them six months and 18.000 miles to reach Singapore.

Their book is worth reading if you fancy "overlanding" in a Land Rover: http://www.amazon.com/First-Overland-London-Singapore-Land-Rover/dp/1904955142

Why should it be less possible today with a 90"? Just sell or give away anything that will not fit inside the vehicle and you will have a better trip anyway.

Very well said, and looks like a good book. Reminded me of this one I've just read:

http://www.amazon.com/Impossible-Takes-Little-Longer/dp/1409203018/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1298054686&sr=1-3

From London to Australia and back again with 3-5 people in a single 109 and very little kit by modern standards. Recovery by elephant is a good one ;)

Might I suggest something that hasn't been suggested yet, anywhere!, it is QUITE do-able I believe, some basic fabrication etc and it will be reversable! You've done lots to your truck, so why get rid of it! If your house is too small, and you cant afford/dont want to move, wat do you do?........... you build an extension of course. simples. Using the rear x-member as a platform, you construct an extension to this, with a new x-member at the back, it would bolt through the old one with stiffnerrs!. use the hardtop and sides from a 110 as a size guide for example,fixed to extg 90 tub and also the extended bit, back end of a 110 say, the top /sides can be shortned to suit yout desired size, the tub ' returns can stay, and the door can move back to the 'new rear panel some 18"- 24" further back. OR You can also leave the 90 top and sides as is, and just fit extended sides/roof bit to match, and the 'gap' between the 90 h/top return, and the extended h/top return can be utilised, ie cooker unit one side, larder the other. try a bit of 3D modeling on this, wouldnt cost you much to do either, and when you dont need it, support the extension on a jack, remove back door, unplug the extended lights, unbolt the xtension, and remove complete with cooker et al, and then replace the back door where it once was! Yes it will increase your rear overhang, but overlanding isnt about extreeme stuff anyway. Oh you might need stiffer springs . Not sure about insurance implications tho. still nothing ventured.... ;)