Please me me stop it raining inside!!!

mad cowman

After buying my D2 last July it started leaking water when it had been parked on a slope. I went back to the place I bought it from and was told it was a design fault and that if I kept it parked on the level it would be fine and apparently the PO had had the same problem and when she parked it on the level it was ok. This was ok to start with but in the past few months its got worse and worse. Last month the disco was parked up for nearly 2 weeks whilst it was being worked on. It rained every day and the console in front of the cubby box, front passenger seat, rear passenger seat on the left and the rooler cover over the boot space was very wet and this is now the norm. The rain drips through the sun roof handles, interior lights and the map holders over the sun visors, but where is it leaking form to get there and how can I fix it. I really like my D2 but its becming more hassle than my old 90. Please help!!

Leaking sunroof I believe, the sunroof has two seals, one or both can fail, the body to sunroof cartridge seal will require the headlining dropping below the sunroof to enable the cartridge to be removed and then resealed.

The rubber glass seal is easy to replace.

The seal to the roof is like silicone and the sunroof is a rubber seal

Now what I did is silicone the sunroof into the roof this involves removing the headlining and taking the sunroof out now with mine it stated leaking again so being really peed off I siliconed the sunroof shut and unplugged the switches so to me problem solved

On my disco 1 I have sealed the front sunroof shut by opening it filling around the edge with silicone and shutting it then sealed around the trim where it meets the bodywork, I have sealed the rear sunroof but not around the trim yet, and I still get a leak but not as bad when parked facing up hill for some reason but just as bad as ever when parked downhill, I am going to seal around the rear sunroof trim ASAP but I now suspect the roof rails may be the problem where they are bolted through the roof, anybody got any thoughts on that theory? I only get a leak in the front near the corners of the screen and where the sunroof switches are. I have also sealed along the top of the windscreen.

Its more than likely coming in through the sunroofs (either were the sunroof cartridge fits to the roof or the weather seal which seals the glass)its a simple fix but you need a good dry day and several tubes of tiger seal. But D2 are also known to leak through the tops of the front windscreen, basiclly it might be worth having the screen refitted.

And here's another really good guide http://stbernardtrust.bravehost.com/sunroof.html

Totaly agree with monkeyboy, i posted earlier that id got a load of vaseline that ive filled the gap around the glass n rubber ans smear it around the joint where the sunroof cartridge touches the painted roof, no more leaks!!!! bets to go to a pound shop n get a big pot, its also means in the good weather you can try the headlining out fix. silicon just dries up n cracks, id say that a boat rubber sealnt would be best, try a yacht chandlers.