Propshaft Nuts & Bolts

Hi all

I had to change a UJ on my front propshaft recently and after a lot of cussing and severely scraped knuckles :angry: i managed to get the PS out. :)

However, due to the state of the bolt heads and nuts being ( previously) slightly rounded and now a lot more rounded i would like to replace at least the nuts if not the bolts as well.

My question is twofold.

1. are the nuts and bolts "special" type designed for the propshaft? I could understand the bolts maybe due to torque but the nuts look like standard imp nyloc.

2. is it required to have the bolts on the transfer box end captive as opposed to being able to remove them like the front end? having them the same as the front would make life a lot easier to change out as and when required without disturbing flanges etc. Would also make me more inclined to change sooner rather than later if faces start degrading. If you can put the bolts in the other way around is it possible to remove those that are captive without disturbing the flange ie micro-cutting disc tool like a dremel and cut heads off?

Thanks for any input.

Rgds

Kev

front & rear prop to axles

bolt 509045P

rear prop [front end] to transfer box

bolt FRC3802

front prop [rear end] to transfer box

BT6060101L

nuts for all bolts nyloc

NZ606041L

Cheers Ralph

What's your opinion regarding the direction of the bolts on the transfer box ? free or captive?

i must admit i don't know if the bolt being put in "free" would interfere with anything or not!

Rgds

Kev

I like mine as LR built it, heads captive, the tails cannot catch anything then, might be a bit of a pain to undo, but not had any major problems with them as the factory intended.

As usual Ralph, can't really fault the thinking on that one :D

I think i may have a look at how hard/easy the flange removal will be and replace all bolts with genuine LRs and just keep a supply of nylocs available.

Cheers

Kev

Worth pointing out there seem to be two heights (at least) of nyloc available. If you breeze into your local fastener merchants and just ask for 3/8 UNF nyloc you'll get either or both. The taller ones seem fine at the diff end, but not the tfr box end. The smaller ones work at either end, but it would probably be better for balance if they all matched. Doubtless the part no is for the smaller ones.

Nigel

Worth pointing out there seem to be two heights (at least) of nyloc available. If you breeze into your local fastener merchants and just ask for 3/8 UNF nyloc you'll get either or both. The taller ones seem fine at the diff end, but not the tfr box end. The smaller ones work at either end, but it would probably be better for balance if they all matched. Doubtless the part no is for the smaller ones.

Nigel

Thanks Nigel

Definitely worth being aware of that.

Rgds

Kev

Thanks to all for the responses.

For me personally i think, for the small additional cost of these small but important parts, it is just as easy, and safer, to get from LR dealer until such times as a good source of equivalent quality, grade etc is found with enough savings, without compromise, to warrant getting them elsewhere.

Thanks again to all those who offered advice, all very welcome.

Rgds

Kev

Thanks to all for the responses.

For me personally i think, for the small additional cost of these small but important parts, it is just as easy, and safer, to get from LR dealer until such times as a good source of equivalent quality, grade etc is found with enough savings, without compromise, to warrant getting them elsewhere.

Thanks again to all those who offered advice, all very welcome.

Rgds

Kev

Well, Landrover don't make their own, and you can bet your bippy that most Landrover dealers won't buy them from Landrover either. They are just high tensile fine thread bolts - any good fastener supplier will have them. The main thing is not to replace them with low tensile or normal coarse thread metric bolts.

The reason for using fine thread bolts is presumably to ensure that the mating faces of the prop shaft flanges are held tightly together since it is the friction between the flanges which transmits the torque to the axle. The geometry of the thread means that a fine thread will give a higher joint force at a given torque than a coarse thread will.

Nick.

Well, Landrover don't make their own, and you can bet your bippy that most Landrover dealers won't buy them from Landrover either. They are just high tensile fine thread bolts - any good fastener supplier will have them. The main thing is not to replace them with low tensile or normal coarse thread metric bolts.

The reason for using fine thread bolts is presumably to ensure that the mating faces of the prop shaft flanges are held tightly together since it is the friction between the flanges which transmits the torque to the axle. The geometry of the thread means that a fine thread will give a higher joint force at a given torque than a coarse thread will.

Nick.

Thanks Nick

I agree with what you said, that's why i will be looking at finding an equivalent bolt elsewhere and will use them if grade etc is same or better than those held by LR Dealer. But until then it will be LR dealers to keep me going.

cheers

Kev

Can't believe no one pointed to buy a prop-shaft tool!! Along with a hub nut spanner these are the 2 key special tools every landrover owner should have!! :)

You know i went straight online and bought myself both these tools the evening after loosing so much skin!!! :D

I have some wheel work to do this coming week so the hub spanner will be in use :rolleyes:

cheers

Kev

You know i went straight online and bought myself both these tools the evening after loosing so much skin!!! :D

I have some wheel work to do this coming week so the hub spanner will be in use :rolleyes:

cheers

Kev

Cool, worth every penny. The hub spanner is also good for taping in certain seals too. I'd recommend drilling out the two holes you put the bar through to a good size. They are stupidly small for some reason?

have fun!! :lol:

cheers

Kev

The prop shaft tool is every landy man's friend!! A must on the list and just as Ralph said!!

dry.gif

post-7610-0-13971800-1299510532_thumb.jpg

front & rear prop to axles

bolt 509045P

rear prop [front end] to transfer box

bolt FRC3802

front prop [rear end] to transfer box

BT6060101L

nuts for all bolts nyloc

NZ606041L

Hi Ralph

Just been down the local LR Dealer and they could only find the 509045P bolts and NZ606041L Nylocs part numbers on their system, even their drawings do not even show bolts at the other ends ( transfer box ) of the propshafts!!! :huh:

Any thoughts on this one?

Cheers

Kev

transfer box end bolts are shown under the transfer box section of the parts book/microcat, go give them a darn good slapping & take these diagrams with you.

best they train someone to use microcat properly & where to look on the vehicle :rolleyes:

post-20-0-72905400-1299525979_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-86215000-1299525983_thumb.jpg

transfer box end bolts are shown under the transfer box section of the parts book/microcat, go give them a darn good slapping & take these diagrams with you.

best they train someone to use microcat properly & where to look on the vehicle :rolleyes:

I knew you couldn't be wrong oh wise one :i-m_so_happy:

i will take a smidgen of delight to take a print out down to them and gently slap it on the desk!! Should be worth a decent cup of coffee from the showroom :D

Will let you know how it goes.

Cheers

Kev

glad to be of service, always happy to help, I'm surprised a main dealers parts dept couldn't find them.

sales people Ralph not mechanics!! :P

if you don't go in with the part number( even then as in this case :blink: !!) and/or vin then you got next to no chance at my dealer in Portsmouth!!

That's the value of the forums for us newbs ;)

Rgds

Kev

maybe the main dealers should put employees who know the vehicles in their parts departments.

Absolutely mate.

I never got chance to go over to LR today ( hopefully tomorrow and get the remaining bits ), I am having trouble with intercooler hoses now with regards to turbo end ( new posting :( )

Hi Ralph

Just thought i would update you on the bolts situation.........

Went down to LR Dealer and got a different guy on parts today so i thought i would just give him the part numbers again and see what happens.

Result.....exactly the same....part numbers don't exist!!!

I said that according to other owners these are the correct numbers so there must be a problem on their system or something. Can you get a senior person because this is not only costing me time but some concern.

Senior person came.....

Result.....exactly the same....part numbers don't exist!!!

I then produced the print out of the pages you gave me and showed them. After some strange looks and mumblings they found the flange pages and sure enough the bolts there with the non-existent part numbers!!! :rolleyes:

Ahh!!! here we are then, no problem we can just order them for you be here next Tuesday-ish.

My comment was what would you have fitted had i brought this in for you to do??

Well we would have used the correct parts of course! :blink:

How? you could not even find them!!!! :angry2:

You have also cost me over a week in lost time and fuel to come down 3 times now. My mate is just about to buy a £20K motor from you perhaps i should inform him about the level of knowledge seemingly missing here?

Lots of red faces :blush: and mumblings with promises to make it up to me etc etc. Ended up with correct bolts on order so end result is good :i-m_so_happy:

Just goes to show if you don't get the answer you are expecting don't take it as gospel they are correct just because it say Land Rover Dealership above the door ( read Land Rover Sales instead ).

My advice to newer members is always check with the forum as the level of knowledge accumulated here far exceeds what you will find in most LR places!! Also keep the forum running by donating and supporting it as i predict it will pay you back many times over during the ownership of your Landy!! ( rant over :D )

Cheers again Ralph :i-m_so_happy: