Bending the gearstick

Tomorrow I'm planning on putting some heat on my gearstick and bending it away from my centre console and cb Mic cable. It's going to be done off vehicle but having just removed the gator and looking at the stick, I'm wondering what issues, if any I will come across by doing this as the stick seams to be mounted into some sort of rubber inside the selector piece that has the 17mm af but on.

For anyone that's had to do this did you bend the stick or add more bend to the bottom near the nut?

It's already at its best position after rotation. I think what I may do it to part cut the lower stem in the middle and then bend the stem to the best position and then re-weld the cut up. This way I can get it into it's best angle without using any heat.

I was pondering this same issue. On the R380, the lever is mounted on an offset that puts it in front of the splined shifter stub on the box. I'm thinking of cutting the shift lever and reversing the offset so it is to the back of the splined stub. The shifter would fall nearer to hand as well as clearing the dash and Raptor console by an extra couple inches. Of course I have no center seat. If you do, this might make things a bit personal for any center seat occupants...

• 11 years later...

Ah yes - old thread resurrection once more! 

Just like the last poster above I have a Raptor console and find that the gear lever gets just a little too close to it for comfort. On the basis that "you can't think of everything" I have relocated my rear wash/wipe up here and while I don't feel the need to force the gear lever about too much, whenever my wife drives the car she seems to think she needs to be a bit more 'agricultural' and regularly manages to turn on the rear wiper - with the gear lever! 

And... I bought the under-console 'oddments' tray at the same time as the dash itself, but that really does foul the gear lever so I haven't been able to fit it, but I'd like to if I could.

I bought a second gear lever, but it's a hefty piece of steel rod and bending it is a bit beyond the tools I have to hand. 

I could probably go to a local blacksmith or something and ask him to put a couple of bends into the section above the rubber join. If it could be done without melting the rubber, then grand. 

Or, as 'TS888' mentioned above I could try and reverse the offset by taking the lever out of the splined collar. I quite like the idea of this - it would probably give me the clearance I need, and it would look pretty standard -no visible bends in the top section. 

Has anyone else done this - can you think of any downsides? I think it would still fit in the gear lever gaitor OK, but would it somehow affect the geometry of the shifting process?? I wouldn't have thought so, but there's a lot I don't know... 

Ta.