Well that didn't work

Gromit

While I was getting the 110 back on the road, as it now has over 200k miles on it, I treated it to a new set of injectors.

Didn't make one blind bit of difference. :angry:

OK, well not quite, there is a slight teeny weekie tiny small improvement. The mid-range on the flat is a bit freer, and it's a bit more drivable.

Small hills or a headwind still reduce the speed to about 50mph.

Top speed of 70 doesn't bother me too much.

Next plan is to look at how much boost is being produced any maybe clean out the intercooler.

The 110 has a full length roofrack but I don't think I'm asking too much to go up hills at slightly over a snail's pace, am I? :(

Guest diesel_jim

I had a full length roofrack on my Td5 110. when i removed it, a) it was quieter! and B) did about 7mph faster, and gained about 30~40 miles range out of a tank of diesel!

yep, I do realise the roof rack will not help but hey, I'm driving a brick shaped defender!

Fuel filter is new. Am planning of fitting a boost gauge if I can find one that isn't expensiveish.

No idea on the condition of the lift pump. Any idea on how to check it? By pumping manually?

Valve clearences were checked about a year ago and were ok.

lift pump:

open bleed 10mm bolt on top of fuel filter

the pump only works when on the cam lobe so you may have to flick the starter till you get feeling in the lever.

then pump it if fuel comes out of the bleed bolt the pump is ok.

clearances easy and free to do

check the caps on the valves too whilst your there

turbo boost gauge cost approx £25ish

With engine off, check that full depression of the throttle pedal fully opens the throttle on the injector pump. The plastic nut on the cable adjuster can vibrate backwards to limit throttle opening at the pump end. Adjust cable adjuster/pedal stop bolt, NOT the end stop on the pump.

Guest diesel_jim
yep, I do realise the roof rack will not help but hey, I'm driving a brick shaped defender!

Fuel filter is new.

No idea on the condition of the lift pump. Any idea on how to check it? By pumping manually?

Valve clearences were checked about a year ago and were ok.

just coz the filter is new, doesn't mean it's good. :unsure:

Whenever my lift pumps have gone bad, i've found that with the engine on tickover, if i loosen the 10mm bleed screw from the top of the filter housing, little or more usually no fuel comes out at all, almost like the lift pump is giving "just enough" to keep the engine going, but no more.

with a new pump, crack that screw open and it comes out at a goor rates of knots.

valve clearances checked a year ago? a lot can happen in a year! :P

if nothing else works, pop the top off the injection pump & check the diaphram. if there is a spilt then it wont increase the fueling as the boost increases.

if you take the fuel filter off it should be full, any gap above the fuel means your liftpump is pants.

does it go offroad much? i had a big lack of power on my disco that i eventually tracked to sand in the fuel tank. mixed with the diesel it had turned into 'snot' that was blocking the pickup under higher flow conditions.

check the tank breather (i think its in the cap on some defenders), if its blocked that'll restrict the fuel flow as well - try driving with the cap off to see if that helps.

other than that, filters (fuel and air), blocked air intake?, cam/pump timing, tappets etc

Good call in the lift pump. Popped open the bleed screw on the filter while it was running this morning and the revs dropped and nothing emerged.

So one dead lift pump then.

Am off to source a new one - will report back

Guest diesel_jim
Am off to source a new one - will report back

part # ERR5057

and ERR2028 for the gaskets (x2 if the spacer block thinky is there)

(assuming it's a 300Tdi?)

if it's a 200Tdi....

pump ETC7869

gaskets ETC7970

part # ERR5057

and ERR2028 for the gaskets (x2 if the spacer block thinky is there)

(assuming it's a 300Tdi?)

if it's a 200Tdi....

pump ETC7869

gaskets ETC7970

Cheers DJ, was just looking up the part numbers. Yeah, it's a 200tdi. Pump ordered online. Just nipping across the road to my friendly LR dealer for the gaskets.