Converting a 2286 from petrol to diesel

carlosbeldia

Well, Sort of.

The other way is easier.

You'd need to change a LOT of parts.

The block is common, I think, and the diesel crank is ok for a petrol.

But you'd be changing everything else. Head, crank, pistons, cam (I think), and timing gear would be advised.

Why not try it and see how you get on, post up pictures as you go!

G.

From petrol to diesel the only parts that you can reuse are; block, oil pump, sump, timing case, timing chain/sprockets/tensioner set up, cam followers, water pump, crank vee belt pulley, oil filler tube, dipstick and tube, thermostat & housing.

The head is the killer - the diesel head is very different, there are pre swirl chambers and hotspots, not to mention the glowplug holes!

And, at the end of the day, the diesel isn't all that great - it was quite low powered, compared with the petrol.

Petrol crank will not work on a diesel (it will break) as its cast while the diesel is forged. But if you have enough money then yes it can be done!

G

Just out of curiosity, what is the difference between the two? I understand that the cast means that liquid steel is poured into a mould, but what does forging a crank involve? Is it drawn steel pressed into shape whilst hot?

G.

A petrol engine cast crank is cast from cast iron of a grade known as 'SG iron'. Castings have a granular consistency to the metal.

A diesel forged crank is drop forged from steel.

Forgings have a grain that follows the shape of the finished artical and are a lot stronger than cast.

Casting is pouring molten metal into a mould that is the shape of the required artical.

Drop forging is basically pressing a chunk of almost white hot steel between 2 dies(moulds) to produce a piece of steel the shape of the inside of the dies.

A petrol engine cast crank is cast from cast iron of a grade known as 'SG iron'. Castings have a granular consistency to the metal.

A diesel forged crank is drop forged from steel.

Forgings have a grain that follows the shape of the finished article and are a lot stronger than cast.

Casting is pouring molten metal into a mould that is the shape of the required article.

Drop forging is basically pressing a chunk of almost white hot steel between 2 dies(moulds) to produce a piece of steel the shape of the inside of the dies.

I understand, thank you!

I'll explain why I want to do this change:

In Colombia, I haven't heard of more than 5 cars with LR diesel original engines. If you find one of these engines, you can count for only the engine, as far as 3000 pound of cost, so whatever it costs are involved in UK, they are sensible cheaper than a Colombian one, not even thinking yet in these are new parts vs 40 year worked ones. Due to high prices of gasoline vs diesel (about 30% higher, not counting the lower consumption), it's a really good inversion. And finally, as my Series are only for off road, I really prefer a diesel engine that doesn't go down when things go wet..... for travelling and everyday use, I have a 110 TD5, so it's not a problem the additional smoke or noise.

As far, I have checked following parts that must be changed:

Valves

Guides

Valve Rockers

Pistons (and rings set)

Con Rods

Cam

Push rods

Starter engine

Cam bracket (somebody can confirm me if there is one or two of these?)

Injectors

Gaskets

Admission

By LRseries, costs are until now a healthy GBP 500, not looking yet for option prices.

Major components, diesel pump and head (are you sure crank must be changed?) I'm trying to find some in good conditions. I saw one 2286 with a Nissan diesel pump working better than with the original. They are cheapers and easier to tune, what do you think? If I let the gasoline crank it's sure it's going to break? I'm not a high rev driver....

The other option is going for a 5 bearing engine, so I can use the head with no problem, I'm looking for one...

Oh, goody, import regulations!

We can get around those, tell me, are secondhand parts subject to the same regulations? Reason I ask is I've a heap of old diesel engines and I could strip one of them and stick the parts on a pallet for you, if you wanted.

The only thing is the exhaust manifolds are not for sale (they can reach big money in the UK for some reason!), so you'd have to manage that on your own.

G.

Hi Gazzar, no, second hand spare parts are permited (I can bring them as spare parts for a classic car)..... it will be a really giant help if you can do that. How much for two of them? please write me to carlosbeldia@yahoo.com to set things up.....

Hi Gazzar, no, second hand spare parts are permited (I can bring them as spare parts for a classic car)..... it will be a really giant help if you can do that. How much for two of them? please write me to carlosbeldia@yahoo.com to set things up.....

email sent.

as far as i have understood, there is no need of changing head and cranck in 5 bearings, right?

Gazzar, I still haven't received your message, PM sent to your account...

No idea what's wrong - email defeating me!

Anyway - I've PM'ed you back.

The head on a 5 bearing has to be changed if converting to a diesel, as there are no hotspots, and no hoes for the glowplugsetc.

G.