What am I pointing my blipper at?

It is the aerial you should be aiming for, frequently found as a single ended 'strands' fixed to one or both side windows, the ones behind the rear passenger doors (if fitted). The strands look similar to the wires of the heated rear window, but one end of the wires is unterminated. You may also find aerials for the wireless in the side windows.

Good Luck.

When returning to my Disco, I press my blipper to unlock it. If it doesn't unlock first time, I hold it up to the window and point it at the dashboard?!?!?!?!?!??!

Why do I point it at the dash - No idea :blink::blink::blink: !

Where is the box which receives the blipper signal?

The alarm/centrol locking ecu behind the glovebox, so near side front

On that age of vehicle it is a wire running across the top of the speedo binnacle, which is why pointing it at/close to the binnacle works best ;)

The aerials in the rear windows pick up football and brainless music fairly well but not a 433MHz tweet

On that age of vehicle it is a wire running across the top of the speedo binnacle, which is why pointing it at/close to the binnacle works best ;)

The aerials in the rear windows pick up football and brainless music fairly well but not a 433MHz tweet

OK, thanks for the correction.

On a 95 300tdi the aerial for the central locking is run up behind the plastic trim beside the windscreen on the passenger side, or at least on mine it is. Looks like a length of co-ax cable with the insulation and screening removed off the last 200mm of cable.

If you are having to stand close to the car to make it work it might be worth checking to see if the cable is actually plugged into the ecu.

Also check to see if water leakage into the car has caused corrosion on the plug connection to the ecu.

Mine happily works from about 4-5m from the car.