Slow start 300Tdi

simonb

they glow red hot within 3secs as soon as you turn the key to try and start the vehicle.

mine had a brand new battery and still failed to start until I changed the plugs.

normal service will resume I bet as soon as new ones are fitted.

Well just got a set of Eblag as recomended by Western. We will all find out later in the wk. They might even reduce the puff of black smoke on starting its always had, since now the diesel should be combusting better on start up.

Well just got a set of Eblag as recomended by Western. We will all find out later in the wk. They might even reduce the puff of black smoke on starting its always had, since now the diesel should be combusting better on start up.

Done well there, got for a good price :i-m_so_happy:

I tried to stay out of this thread due to the fact that is about stinkin 4 pot oil burning fat fryers :D:P:D

But ……….. all the bad starting derv engines I have worked on with those symptoms , it has always been a glow plug problem. I found with the son’s 300tdi. that even 2 plugs not working were enough to give it the ‘cough & fart’ start.

Ian

Any outcome yet?

Not arrived yet, were dispatched 2day but i'm off to the Farnborough Airshow 2moz :P , so probably won't get round to it till the wknd. Bit too hot for spannering without any shade at the moment. The series 3 rebuild this wk only takes place between 7am and noon cos its too hot, but thats another story. No more no starts since last fri am - but in this heat its not surprising.. :blink:

New glow plugs are in. Checked on battery b4 fitting. Confirmed they are working in situ by watching voltmeter, when relay clunks off, volts go back up to 14v from cranking voltage.

Smaller black "chuff" of smoke on starting than b4, seems initial idle after starting is less lumpy as well.

Hopefully no more no starts, hadn't had any this wk since I found the plugs were duff last wknd - didn't even bother putting the wiring back on last Sat..

• 1 month later...

Well was never conviced it was the glow plugs - 2 wks after fitting them, the no starts returned. Had fitted a new stop solenoid by then as well, so it wasn't that. Anyway decided to fit a new lift pump....

Touch wood, been fine since (over a month now), idle seems smoother as well. Starts no problems even if left for a few days with the fuel level down to the orange on the gauge. Guess the pump had a leaky valve and that combined with which part of the stroke it stopped on, allowed the fuel to run back to the tank, hence all the cranking to get it going.