speedo prob!

Hi, my speedo was a bit wobbly and erratic so I changed the cable last week and all seemed well, untill today driving up the motorway I hit 65 and the needle flickered and then died - no speed reading or any thing , does this mean I need a new gauge , is a 1988 90, cheers del

Yes, most likely it has popped out. Unless something in the gauge has jammed and snapped the cable. Check it's OK and re-fit it if the connection is still in one piece.

If your speedo is U/S then either A: replace it for another mechanical speedo head (5 min job) or B: upgrade to a Td5 speedo/instrument set and binnacle (far more than 5 mins but worth it for a daily driver in my view) :)

cant hear any rattles , when my series 1 speedo went the needle was bouncing all over the place and it made a hell of a noise , I'm a total novice and when I changed the cable I think it was properly located- its still fitted into the gearbox tight and I took the dash off and it seems to be ok but I'm not too sure its only a push fit and im not certain that i fitted it correctly, it did work for s few dsys :blink:

Hi, my speedo was a bit wobbly and erratic so I changed the cable last week and all seemed well, untill today driving up the motorway I hit 65 and the needle flickered and then died - no speed reading or any thing , does this mean I need a new gauge , is a 1988 90, cheers del

When i had this happen to me, the cable had broken in half...got a replacement cable, but did the td5 gauges upgrade as mentioned by Retroanaconda, now the needle is rocksteady and no wobbling needle and having to guess the speed.

Took the speedo off this morning and left the end exposed , went for a drive and the end of the cable didnt move - so i reconected the speedo head took off the connection at the gearbox , put a cordless drill on it to test if the speedo was working and the needle didnt move is it possible that the speedo and the drive in the box have both failed? :blink:

I will check it , thats a good point , when I took the old cable off it seemed to work freely although the speedo needle was jumping around I thought it was the cable catching thats why I changed it -so maybe the speedo wants changing too :blink: