Modified Disco 2. anyone done it

suggs

Hey all

Well today is the day i sold my modified 90 :(, the wifes now got a Saab convertible and im having her Disco 2 V8 ES to do with what i want :o

So my 90 was pretty extreme but i dont want to go over the top with the Disco as its a really nice car. Im thinking safari snorkel, winch, +2 lift with some decent on/off road tyres etc kind of G4 style.(cars a burnt orange metallic colour)

im after some advice on what to uses suspension wise as car has ACE fitted and dont no how that works with a lift, currently have coils all round as removed air springs already. also recommendations for some decent tyres and max size with a +2 lift, car currently has 18 inch alloys so may keep them if i can get tyres that size otherwise ill have to get some 16's..

any pics of modified D2's or links would be great..

cheers

Got a d2 td5 started mods about 12 months since notised stuff is more expensive than for a d1

Got a gardin none winch bumper

Steering gaurd

Front qt diff gaurd

Roof spots

Td5 alive chipped

Egr removed

Centre silencer removed

Side exit exaust

Lifted 3 inch

Bigger tyres

Uprated disks

Face lift lights front and rear

Removed ace

That's about it but it's a on goin project

i would love to do a disco2 for general road/greenlaning and RTVs,

you can fit decent sized rubber under the arches without cutting too much - as the wheel arches are bigger than a D1. Decent front and rear HD bumpers can be had from many places now and same goes for sliders. Also, dont ditch the ACE system. Under 10mph (i think) it is not active, so you get full wheel travel offroad and still have exceptional anti roll bar system on road, plus they dont 'flip' like conventional arbs when flexed on a lifted truck. Add a centre diff lock lever and combined with the traction control, makes it a brilliant performer in the slippy stuff.

ps, altering the steering lock is not as easy on the D2 axles. Instead of adjustable nut/bolt system that you find on defenders, they have 2 cast metal tabs - effectively setting the turning circle with nothing you can do about it. However a few minutes with a grinder and you can adjust it :lol:

yep thats pretty much what im thinking. is it yours? im interested in what size those creepy crawlers are?

Yes mate its mine, those creepy's are 35x12.50x16. I was trying to change the size of the pic but i,m strugling with the computer. it was running 285/75 km2's until last week.

I do recall looking at some pics of your defender when i was considering putting 35's on mine.

As regards the disco its not my everyday transport its purely to have fun in, i have removed the ace/ airbags. its got whats supposed to be a 2.5" lift but its more like 3". Its had the cdl from a D1 fitted, its soon to have the rear donut swoped for a 200 series prop and a defender transfer box. And other than the front bumper which was from first four (For a D1). the rest at the moment is pretty standard (oh and ive moved the washer bottle!). The wheels didnt take that much fitting, if you look at the rear of the front arch its been trimmed slightly to allow the tyres to move freely. there is alittle more work to do with them but they dont catch to bad at the mo, it will probably end up with flexi archs on tbh.

ooops . . . .

i didnt see the disco pick i was blinded by the defender, lol.

Thats a very clean disco and pretty much how mine looked when i got it 6 months ago, those side steps are a little bit of a pain to remove (they fasten to the body mount bolts) but try not to brake the rear bolts or you have to put the new one in upside down which isnt a prob. but not to everybody's taste. the archs are only stuck on so there easy to remove, if your gonna offroad it then swop the front bumper first. (the complete d2 bumpers make mega money on ebay). I will get some better photos of my truck tomorrow so you can see how it stands.

cool. dont think ill be going 35's on mine may look at the Kumho KL71 or BFG's with a 2 inch lift, would like to keep the ace if possible too. quite like the D44 Disco 2 bumper front and rear. not a every day car anymore as also have a Saab now so i got a pretty much free run on the Disco. trouble is its a pretty nice car as is with only 65k on the clock :rolleyes:

one other handy tip, when you get some bigger rubber which i cant see why 285/75 wouldnt fit you will need to turn the spare wheel mount upside down and then the spare will fit fine. the middle bolts will not line up but the other 4 will. oh and if you want it perfect then you will need to trim a small piece out of the top corner for the rear wiper.