castle nut for KAM diff ratios

Daan

Hi there,

I am hitting a bit of a brick wall at the mo; I have a set of kam r&ps fitted to my car. Now I am fitting one of niges diff flanges and a new seal, I come back to an old problem, being the M22 nuts. The pignion has a hole for a splitpin, which I want to utilize. So I need an m22 fine castle nut. The one that KAM suggests is LR partno. 90608545. I ordered these, and they turn out to be ordinary locknuts (with a squashed end to provide the locking action). A quick phonecall to KAM confirmed that this is what they use.

I really dont like to realy on these, and previously, I bought a large nut and just drilled a holes through it in roughly the right position (I know) to fit a splitpin. Does a landrover part exist for a castle nut?

I did find these: http://www.fullermetric.com/products/nut/din935hex_castle_nut.html

but not sure the castelation is in the right position, or whether they have stock.

Anyone else any good suggestions?

Daan

The one that KAM suggests is LR partno. 90608545. I ordered these, and they turn out to be ordinary locknuts (with a squashed end to provide the locking action). A quick phonecall to KAM confirmed that this is what they use.

that will be a nyloc nut then, quite safe as a alternative.

not sure what size but 110 up to 1986 parts book show this as a front axle diff pinion castle nut part number 3259 see photo below

post-20-0-23980400-1306341933_thumb.jpg

Ralph, that is the imperial, much smaller nut which is used on the earlier diffs. I really dont fancy a nyloc for this application, as a castle nut with a splitpin would allow me to sleep at night, having seen the effects of this nut coming loose.

I cant be the only one with this question, surely?

Daan

• 2 weeks later...

Right, I have now gone round the houses, bought a few which turned out an inch or so too long and found several suppliers who wanted to sell me a box of 200 nuts (of the wrong type anyway), I have now located the correct one:

http://www.kramp.com/shop/action/SimpleSearch?storeId=60&langId=-1&level=0&searchType=STARTSWITH&query=9372215

It is a shallow castle nut m22 x 1.5, and it fits like it was made for it. I payd about 16 quid for 4 of these, ordered through my local kramp dealer (importer wouldn't sell direct), but this dealer is walking distance from where I live.

The correct shallow version turned out to be almost unobtanium, but this lawnmower part saved the day for this problem.

Daan