Rear shock mounting locations

Hi,

Just wondering if someone can shed some light or technical opinion on this.

I've recently returned from the ALRC Nationals and I noticed a lot of the triallers (CCV's mostly) mount the rear shock using a turret, i.e. exactly the same as the front suspension shock location.

I presume this isn't done as standard for packaging reasons and lack of clearance above the upper spring perch.

But what actual advantage does this offer over having the shock mounted in the stock location?

e.g.

Rear shock located like this:

DSC_7644Large.jpg

The obvious answer is to be able to fit longer shocks.

If you want more travel out of the suspension you need longer travel on the shock and thus the top of the shock has to be higher.

The Equipe site shows a bracket (copied by a certain orange company) that comes out from the chassis and up the side of the rear body to achieve the same effect on a more stock vehicle.

I can see that. However don't places like llama4x4 sell longer shocks for stock mounts too? Any idea how much extra you get by mounting with a turret? Also is there anything to do with the arc radius or twist in the top mount. Didn't Devon 4x4 sell some kind of swivel top shock mount, presume changing the shock location would solve this?

Do you think there are any downsides to locating the shocks like this?

hi, when i biult my 80 i was going to fit shocks with turrets but the travel is restricted by the spring seat, as the axle drops the wheel goes under the vechicle and catches the chassis or spring seat. i am running plus 5 rough country shocks with challenge mounts on pin pin fixings, with tomcat mounts.

from what i understand they are fitted like this to give better damping, due to using softer springs.

hope that helps

I would imagine you'll need to modify the spring base also, the front ones stand slightly proud of the axle to allow you to get the retaining bolt on the bottom of the shock, the rear ones are slightly flusher.

The advantage is that the shock is protected by the spring and it is exactly vertical, which means it is in line with the wheel movement and therefore more effective. Disadvantage is that you are limited in travel, because off the shock touching the turret on full rebound if you dislocate a lot.

My shocks are like this, you cant use front turrets if you use a normal rear body, so some engineering is needed.

Daan

With the shock at an angle you also get more axle movement out of a shock of a given length. I would suggest using one of the many available extended rear shock mounts.

X-eng has some extended rear mounts which will clear the Td5 fuel filter without needing to move it. Not currently on the website due to manufacturing problems, picture added...

post-209-0-96954200-1307193211_thumb.jpg

Chris