2002 Td5 Discovery II

Hi,

My 2002 Td5 Disco has just started starting poorly from cold and hot. For no apparent reason it suddenly needs 5-10 seconds of turning over before it fires. Although it's winter here in Auckland it's only 18 degrees so hardly a cold start issue. I feel as though the engine is turning very fast during start-up although I could be wring as usually it fires after a quick flick so not heard it actually turning over before on the starter. Afterwards it seems to run fine. Any ideas?

Thanks

Depending on engine- and ambient-temperature, the TD5 doesn't always light the glowplugs, despite what the 'glowplug light' in the instrument-panel might have you believe/.

(similarly, the ECU can keep the glowplugs heated for some time after the light's been extinguished and the engine's started). This can make fault-finding rather confusing.

Your comment about the engine seeming to turn faster than usual on the starter makes me think 'low compression' - which will make any Diesel difficult to start.

Check your valve-clearances!

had a similar problem with my old td5 sometime would turn over for up to 30 secs before firing. sorted it by changing the injector seals which are cheap to buy but the injectors can be a pain to remove.

Injector Seals. Exactly sams thing happened to me.

One tellytale will be the sound of air bubbles when you prime the car. When you turn-on the ignition, you whould hear the fuel pump prime. If you can hear air bubbles in the fuel, it's likely the Injector Seals...

The parts are: O rings - ERR7004; Copper washers - ERR6417. Cost is buttons, but it will take a while to do.

If it's under warranty then your luck is in!