Power coating or Galvanising

Hi Guys,

I need to get the locking bars on my trailer doors sorted out, where they are held in by the brackets the paint is starting to wear already so will clearly not last I know power coating is a lot harder so would this be a better option or should I get them galvanised and not worry about the paint inside the brackets?

So to the questions:

• Power coat or Galvanise or both?
  • Where can I get this done as a search for galvanising in either Berkshire/Oxfordshire does not come up with any results.
  • They are made out of steel tube will I need to drill them out first to let the galv in?

Cheers, Jason.

They are made out of steel tube will I need to drill them out first to let the galv in?

It's not a case of letting the galv in, the problem is that if you have any sealed airspaces the parts may explode when they are dipped in the molten zinc. Galvanisers are (rightly) paranoid about this risk so if there are no holes in your tubes when you deliver them for galvanising they will either refuse to touch them or will drill the holes themselves.

So the answer to your question is 'yes, they need to be drilled'. The holes should be at least 6mm and preferably more like twice that, and every airspace must be vented.

Nick.

Galvanising willway outperform powdercoating, there isnt one in ox berks area, used to be Ideal casements in Reading , I used them about 40 yrs back. B E Wedge wolverhampton , I can reccomend, used them about 1 month back to do a bulkhead . The site will list other parts of the group , might be nearer to you . HTSH

Difference with galv is is works even when it's scratched off, as the surrounding galv protects the bare metal. Powder coat once you've dinked it, water will get in & the rust will creep underneath. It can be made very hard indeed, but it won't beat galv especially on something that's being rubbed/worn.

Does anyone know how long the process typically takes? there is one near my parents in Nottingham that I could drop off next week before a family funeral so will be up there for 2 days would this normally give them enough time?

Jason.

Normal turn around is five working days, IME. The process itself is in two stages - first there is an acid bath to clean the metal, this then has to be dried off before the part can be dipped in the molten zinc tank. For a small part you may be able to get that all done in a couple of days but you would need to arrange to jump the queue of other parts, so as Ralph suggests, give them a ring.

FYI, galvanising is costed on the weight of the parts being galvanised, with a minimum order value (usually £50 - 75). I would expect to have to pay a premium for a quick turnaround service.

Nick.